All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multimedial Hard Disk fell
PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 12:03 

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and i dont know much about hard disks.
My hitachi multimedial hard disk (1TB) fell from a 30 cms table and now the comuter doest recognize it....sometimes when it does...windows blocks and if i dont unplug the usb conection of the hard drive it doesnt unblock

I dont care about the hard disk i just want my data...i have a lot of data i need on it. i tried with different software from the internet to recover the data....but the same story repeats with almost all software.
When the software recognizes the hdd, it stars searching and it keeps doing that for hours.......
PLease help me...tell me if there is any software that may recognize my hdd...

I want to say that it doesnt make weird noizes, it turns on, i can hear it spin normaly, te first time i pluged it to the computer fter it fell it started reinstalling

Post subject: Re: Multimedial Hard Disk fell
PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 12:18 

Read / Write heads suffered damage in the crush. Media damage most likely as well. I am sorry to tell you this but DIY recovery in this case is pretty much impossible. If you will keep trying to run scans on the drive you will kill it. Pro intervention is required and even then ull get partial recovery. The only other suggestion i can give you is trying to clone the drive onto a good drive and scaning the clone. However most applications available to you wont be able to do the job and also its VERY risky in ur situation.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 12:24 

But whenever i connect it to the computer and look up in device manager i can see it there....the computer recognizes it, not in MY COMPUTER, but in device manager and one or two of the sofwares i found on the internet....its just that any time i try to do something is block or does the same thing nevereding....
The computer also makes the usual BEEP sound whenever i connect the hard drive

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 12:33 

Stop powering your drive up!
Take it to a pro while its recoverable and could cost you little money.

Drive developed a scratch on a surface. Pro will be able to get your data at this moment, on other hand you can make this problem much bigger.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 19:56 

Dropped drives suffer from various different problems. Even though it is recognized and you try to get off data there could be other problems in this drive. You can have a head that is broken, not saying that you do but it is possible, spindle motor problems, platters alignment problems to name a few on this one.

If you keep trying to run this drive it is like driving your car without oil or water in it. What can you do to your motor. Well a HDD is fragile and this needs to be handled and repaired by somene who works on HDD everyday. If this was an easy fix and possible for you to do this one we would be more than willing to offer the help needed. But a dropped drive is another story and we can not offer you help on this one. Sorry but if you can not afford a pro to do this one for you. Put your drive in a static bag and seal it well, Then find a very safe place for it so it does not get another shock. This drive will go for years and one day when you can seek some help this drive will be there and it can be recovered. Good luck