All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bricked WD2500BEVS? Bios/MHDD cant read it, it's spinning
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 6:08 

Hello Every1,

let me start with the statement im a HDD n00b, living in Poland.

Here's my story:
few years back I bought brand new WD2500BEVS-22UST0 which was already hacked to work with Xbox360. It was recognized as 120GB drive, working perfectly well for over 2 years. Since I'm not using my old console any longer, I decided to used the drive as a network device by putting it into some hdplayer, formatted it and forgot about whole case.

Recently I figured out why not to use whole capacity (250GB) instead of current 120GB. Till that time drive was working perfectly fine but what interested me the most, is that Bios recognized it as FUJITSU :)

Anyways, straight to the point. I have downloaded HDDHACKR, created bootable USB stick, used Restore Firmware option and uploaded UNDO.BIN file onto my drive. Let me mention that I never had original UNDO.BIN for my hdd hence, I have used the one supplied with HDDHACKR package (ver. 1.4).

Since that horrible mistake, I started having huge issues with the drive:
- my bios (old HP dx2300) sometimes recognize my HDD but does not display SMART status or I can't run self-test on it (nothing happens),
- my win7 cannot detect the drive,
- tried accessing MHDD via bootable USB - no luck, it does not recognize my drive,
- tried re-loading UNDO.BIN via HDDHACKR - sometimes it works, sometimes not,
- tried running Disk Health from bootable Parted Magic CD - it does not recognize my drive

What I have noticed is that if MHDD/HDDHACKR can see my drive, I can switch if off while running and re-connect power cable and only after that, both apps are capable to recognize it but further analysis is not possible.

I even tried connecting the drive to other PC, this time Bios can see it properly, even the LBA size is displayed properly but when I try running DPS Self Test (HP desktop), drive clicks few times, stops spinning and PC freezes.

As mentioned, I'm sure that till the time I reverted the xbox-related changes and uploaded UNDO.BIN via hddhackr 1.4, drive was working perfectly fine, few minutes back I managed to copy it's previous content into another drive I have and it was successfull and fast too.

Any suggestions other than "throw it into trash" would be highly appreciated. I don't have any sensitive data there but thought that it's worth trying to fix it by myself. Please help!!!

Best Regards,
Wally666

Post subject: Re: Bricked WD2500BEVS? Bios/MHDD cant read it, it's spinnin
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 7:10 

Thanks for quick response, understood...

As mentioned, I'm not freaked about getting any data back but since the drive is bricked but still operative (can be recognized by bios/hddhackr) and it's spinning and there are no burned elements on the motherboard (whatever it's called), maybe there's still a way to bring it back to live by re-flashing it with proper firmware? All I'm risking is just a 60$ worth hdd drive that it's not critical to me - since it's almost bricked for good (or should I say for bad), I can give it a try and try everything a n00b like me could do.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 7:18 

You can try to find a "twin brother" of your bricked HDD.
From that as much as possible identical drive you can try to make a backup.bin.
And then try to upload that backup.bin to faulty HDD.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 7:29 

Randy wrote:
You can try to find a "twin brother" of your bricked HDD.
From that as much as possible identical drive you can try to make a backup.bin.
And then try to upload that backup.bin to faulty HDD.

90-99% won't work properly after that.
In any case the drive is not working anymore so other problem most probably have developed.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 7:31 

I believe that's what I actually did - I bricked the drive using UNDO.BIN (hddhackr soft) taken from different HDD, even if the model is matching perfectly (WD2500BEVS-22UST0). I can try but where can I get this bin file and via what software should I upload it to hdd?

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 7:50 

BlackST, i agree, chances are low, but without proper special software tools, and knowledge, i think this is the only way to try. Anyway, drive is bricked now and another way is just throw it to junk.
Then i talking about make a backup from healthy drive, i mean to make UNDO.BIN with hacktoolz from good drive, and then upload that UNDO.bin to faulty drive with help from hacktoolz again.
Do it or not, decision depends from the owner.

Of course, there is another way: is just to contact with local (for wally666) good data recovery professional.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 9:43 

HDDHackr modifies MODs OD in ROM and 02 in the SA.

For an explanation of how it works, see http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Hd ... lysis.html

It's too late now, but the solution in those cases where you have lost the drive's original UNDO.BIN file is not to undo the hack, but to do it again, this time by using a hacked HDDSS.BIN file. You need to replace the Fujitsu identity data in this file with the identity data for your WD HDD.

See http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop-Por ... d-p/393685

If you can find a tool to read all the SA MODs, there may be a way to use HDDHackr to repair your drive. There is an active thread where an end user is developing a tool, hopefully freeware. Hang on to your drive. Otherwise I have a few ideas.