Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Toshiba - Heads Issue?

May 29th, 2014, 14:29

Hi,

Have a Toshiba 1TB laptop drive, model is MQ01ABD100H, and I believe it's bad heads, but would like a second opinion.
In DDI the drive goes ready and IDs properly, but the heads map is all abort errors. Imaging provides nothing but bad sectors.
After DDI, took a look at the drive in Toshiba HD Doctor. Drive ID properly and was able to read in all the FW, but not able to access any of the data.
I don't think I've seen a drive ID properly while having bad heads, but that seems like what it is. Your opinion?

Re: Toshiba - Heads Issue?

May 29th, 2014, 14:37

Did you repower the drive after doing the head map on DDI?

May 29th, 2014, 14:51

lcoughey wrote:Did you repower the drive after doing the head map on DDI?

Yes, did a repower of the drive, same results. Did a restart of DDI, same results. Even tried a different destination, same results.

May 30th, 2014, 15:12

It would be quick to rule out the PCB with a donor, I'd do that first. I guess you don't have DE to read from active utility?

May 30th, 2014, 15:32

Nick_CT wrote: DE to read from active utility?

:idea:

May 30th, 2014, 16:56

FinalKnight wrote:Hi,

Have a Toshiba 1TB laptop drive, model is MQ01ABD100H, and I believe it's bad heads, but would like a second opinion.
In DDI the drive goes ready and IDs properly, but the heads map is all abort errors. Imaging provides nothing but bad sectors.
After DDI, took a look at the drive in Toshiba HD Doctor. Drive ID properly and was able to read in all the FW, but not able to access any of the data.
I don't think I've seen a drive ID properly while having bad heads, but that seems like what it is. Your opinion?

most of the FW is on PCB, if am not wrong...

June 1st, 2014, 14:18

MindMergepk wrote:most of the FW is on PCB, if am not wrong...

Correct.

August 19th, 2016, 11:28

Hey FinalKnight: Was this drive ever recovered?

If so, please tell us the steps.

Thanks!
-DP
===============================
Post a reply