All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ how fix raw read error rate
PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 20:52 

Hello,

my hard drive (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ) has a SMART data error. So, I would like to know, if there's a solution to fix this : raw read error rate ?
Maybe there's a software able to fix this error ? A way to restore the hard drive as the original factory state ?
I don't know but maybe it's possible to clear (or erase or reset) the SMART data ? The SRT (Samsung Repair Tool) exist really ? If yes, there's a safe place to download it ?
What about the Hard Disk Sentinel (HDSentinel) ? How proceed ?
MHDD can help me or not ? Does it support the e-sata ? This software doesn't seem able to detect my hard drive...
Can I update the firmware ? How ?
One solution would be a software like hdd regenerator ? Any idea ?

I don't need to backup any data and a replacement isn't a solution.

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ how fix raw read error rate
PostPosted: October 8th, 2014, 0:29 

The best you can hope for is that the read errors are confined to one surface. You could then recertify (Burn-In) your drive after disabling the affected head. This means that your refurbished drive will have a reduced capacity (750GB, 3 heads out of 4). However, you will need an appropriate tool and burn-in scripts. The HDD Oracle has more information, but I don't know if there is a link to a suitable script for your model.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2014, 11:30 

Well, I see... thanks and so let's hope.
In fact, I followed an advice from BadBlock (this post) a member of The HDD Oracle. As you can see and maybe you will understand, this website is dead or it seem's almost like that (not only to me)... Almost none sign of live... The activity is very low, maybe one repercussion of the down... Since I read that's post and also after such a long time, this is what I feel right now. I know the notion of patience but I just think it's enough. This is why I choose to follow this advice.
If I have to blame someone, it would be Samsung or Seagate. Because none of their software (ESTOOL, HUTIL, SeaTools) can help me to fix that with an easier way...

PostPosted: October 8th, 2014, 18:48 

The HDD Oracle was intended to be a forum for open discourse about data recovery. Unfortunately there are few people in the data recovery profession who are willing to share information, either at the Oracle or at HDD Guru, or anywhere else. If you can find any useful answers to your question in this forum or any other, then please let me know.

Best of luck, anyway.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2014, 21:30 

Yes, I know, I read this a few time ago. Well, still none sign of live (none PM, none answer). Not even a partial answer... By this simple observation and the time, I guess it's a failure...
It's really damage and I hope it will change one day. Maybe I will find something and in this case, I will. But I didn't have lot of hope... Until now, the result of all my searches are very poor...
Thanks, anyway.

Also, somebody can explain me why MHDD didn't detect my hard drive ?
A corruption of the firmware could be the reason ? If yes, how could I try to fix it ?

PostPosted: October 11th, 2014, 1:45 

Grywald wrote:
Also, somebody can explain me why MHDD didn't detect my hard drive ?

Configure the SATA controller for legacy or IDE compatibility mode in your BIOS setup. This will make your SATA drive look like PATA.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 18:37 

Thanks, I will try soon. By default, the BIOS is set on AHCI.
There's another some kind of software (or tool) like this one ? I guess, he doesn't support any Samsung hard drive, right ? Also, I guess the firmware of my hard drive isn't the latest one release. So, if can make an update, it might help me. So, someone has any suggestion ?

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 19:10 

FWHD41 is a set of updates for end users of ThinkPad HDDs. These are not firmware tools in the data recovery sense.

A firmware update won't fix your drive.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 21:09 

Well, that's confirm my first opinion about... I wasn't totally sur and to be clear, like I said, the data recovery isn't the purpose.
There's somewhere any documentation (a wiki, tutorial etc) about the Samsung Repair Tool (SRT) ? Or at least, someone could provide some indications ?
It seem's there's nothing left on Samsung websites about their softwares like the ESTOOL, HUTIL ... So, I guess I will find nothing there...

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 2:59 

Grywald wrote:
If I have to blame someone, it would be Samsung or Seagate. Because none of their software (ESTOOL, HUTIL, SeaTools) can help me to fix that with an easier way...

If you buy a Mercedes or a BMW (but nowadays even much more cheaper cars) you can't blame them if they don't provide you free ways to fix your car or give you insider info how to deal with the ECU. Your drive simply has "failed "and if you find something the way you want (for free) to "fix" it (not likely if not "cosmetic" - assuming there are no other issues you need dedicated tools that cost $$$$$$$) it's good, otherwise the HDD market is mass market and manufacturers do concentrate on business rather than giving customers way NOT to buy new HDDs.... (totally approve it even if a good business is drive refurb/resell)

Anyway, no older "leaked tools" work anymore with newer/recent Samsung drives, less than less with F3.

Anyway (2) , raw read error rate is not a problem until the drive becomes abnormally slow or exhibit read or other errors - during normal life raw error rate is normal to get high like mileage meter on a car : reset it the way you want but you still have an old engine.