Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

600GB SAS HDD

March 26th, 2015, 10:19

ST3600057SS - 600GB SAS. Arrived 4 Pieces. RAID5

Tested, 2 drives with power failure, 2 drives is detecting but capacity ZERO (0.00GB).
My SAS HBA - 9211-8i

Worked on Power Failed Drive (PCB & ROM swap). The Drive gets detected but Capacity ZERO 0.00.

I am confused how all 4 Drives can be damaged at the same time? While 2 with power failure, 2 with others failure. Also, after restoring one Power failed drives, as I see the drives are detecting same ZERO, Now I have a question, is the SAS HBA responsible for showing Capacity ZERO?

Right now, I don't have option to arrange another SAS HBA (it requires to arrange from abroad, not possible locally). Can I use the same RAID controller they used on their server instead of HBA to inspect the drives individually?

Re: 600GB SAS HDD

March 26th, 2015, 15:23

How is the PCB on its own detected? If you isolate the preamp, does the drive report a capacity of 0?

If you upload detailed photos of the failed PCBs, I could help you analyse the result of the power surge or overvoltage, if that is what happened. If the surge clobbered the +5V supply, then that could have caused an internal fault.

Re: 600GB SAS HDD

March 29th, 2015, 5:21

Yes, it's ZERO after isolating the PCB. Internal damage for sure. Either FW/Head. Already advised to customer to outsource the case abroad. As we don't have required technologies to deal SAS drives.
Post a reply