All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate SV35 ST2000VX000 PCB question
PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 10:10 

Greetings fellows

I have a SV35 that probably got the PCB burnt.

This happened. The HDD was in the case, in an inside box that I thought it's fixed. While the PC was shut down, I flipped it to the side, and started it. Somehow, the HDD moved from the position, and I think the PCB burnt, it was very hot when I touched it.

Now the issue is this. I bought another SEAGATE SV..., to see if changing the PCB fixes the problem, I have some very important files on the HDD, and I cannot afford 4-500 euros for this. The PCBs are different tho. One is rectangular, and one has a cut angle.

Here is a picture of the HDD PCBs.

What should I do? Cheers
Stefan

EDIT: Both HDDs are Seagate SV35 ST2000VX000

Attachments:
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG [ 668.84 KiB | Viewed 5357 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seagate SV35 ST2000VX000 PCB question
PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 12:46 

Start telling what you have done step by step - then maybe someone can guide you.
I dont like the label from one of the drives is not in place any more.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 12:51 

Let me rephrase please. I might have been too ambiguous :)

Long story:

The HDD in question was in the top cover, in a box that gives you fast access to it, non system HDD. The top box inside the cover should normally give a fixed position to the website, but it seems if the CASE is sitting on the side, it lets the HDD slip. The HDD is not accessed through USBs.

I flipped the computer on the side, because I wanted to check if the USB slots had problems ( already checked driver problems ), USB 2.0 slots stopped working, only the 3.0 were working, so I looked into the case. All was looking fine physically, the USB 2.0 on the same components were not working, but the 3.0 were.

Than started the PC normally, the HDD was untouched. After 30 mins working on it, I wanted to access that HDD. I noticed it dissapeared from the hard-drives. Stopped the computer. I took the case top cover, and took off the HDD. The PCB side was very hot. Panicked. Started the computer. Entered BIOS. A noise can be heard from the HDD when the computer starts. Seems like it's trying to access the HDD. After 10 20 seconds, sound stops, like the PC gives up on accessing it. Nor in BIOS or while running the OS the HDD appears. It's gone missing.

I changed it too other cables, removing it from the top box. Same thing. No shock, no hit, nothing happened to it. So I assume is the PCB. The idea is that I want to first try a PCB exchange, which is not invasive, and it costs me just another HDD. Not easy to get it, but I bought it, since I am through hard times as we speak.

Most of the screws seems to match on both PCBs but the different size dazzles me. Thank you for all advises, and sorry for the misunderstandings. I am still under shock :)

The label is there because I want to look inside the HDD if something jumped. I did not do it yet. I will do it after the PCB try, but it should not be mecanical problem since there is no shock, and the noise exists only on first seconds. I removed the label from the HDD. The other HDD is brand new, just arrived. From the same company I bought the old one a few years ago.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 12:59 

Here are 2 pictures of the top case, the box where the HDD was slotted in, one with the top cover on, one without the cover.

Thanks again

Attachments:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 472.11 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 501.35 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 13:19 

PCBs are not compatible.
The problem with the drive is 99% heads and most likely more or less media damage - if it stops spinning after a few clicks or beeps.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2015, 14:41 

Great. So I have to ship the new HDD back. Thanks