All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heads for WD5000AAKS-00TMA0
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 12:57 

Hey guys,

currently I have a problem with a WD5000AAKS-00TMA0 drive. This drive has one defective head. Currently I tried the second donor drive, but without luck. The drive spins up, I hear few slight clicks, then it spins down. I tried to adjust the microjogs (the difference was < 100) with both donor drives. I also tried just to write the Module 47 from the donor to the patient drive. Same result. Btw. I restored the original ROM, before I was using the second donor.

I uploaded a photo of the three drives. The left one is the patient. Currently it has the heads of the drive in the center. The left drive has it's heads back and is working without a problem. The head swap was done in a clean room using the ramps of HDDS. And after I put the heads of the first donor back, they worked without a problem.

What can I do?

Attachments:
2017-01-23 17.41.55.jpg
2017-01-23 17.41.55.jpg [ 3 MiB | Viewed 4769 times ]

Post subject: Re: Heads for WD5000AAKS-00TMA0
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 13:12 

Have you tried RAM head map? Gave me excellent results for me almost every clicking head change i made with those HDDs.

Best!

F

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 13:30 

Are you sure there is no media damage which could kill donor head in client's drive?

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 13:47 

drHDD wrote:
Are you sure there is no media damage which could kill donor head in client's drive?

Yes, I'm sure. The defective head of the drive is Head 7 (Logical Head 5). The other heads were reading without a problem. So at least, the heads from the donor should have read the SA from the first or second head. And after I put the first set of heads back into the donor, it worked again.

@F_ARG

I don't know why, but I changed the head map to 3 3 3 3 3 3 and could read the SA again. So I changed it back to 3 3 4 5 6 7 and now the drive is reading the data from Head 7. But when the drive do nothing, it starts to click slightly.

I also tried to restore some pics, that were stored with head 6 and 7 and they were OK. So the data seems to be OK.

Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 14:00 

Hi! Go head by head. If H3 is the first one use map 3 3 3 3 3 3 and read using one head only. When it finishes go for 4 4 4 4 4 4, then 5 5 5 5 5 5 and so on. Disable re power HDD if error occurs in task configuration.

Best!

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 14:02 

D_R wrote:
drHDD wrote:

Yes, I'm sure. The defective head of the drive is Head 7 (Logical Head 5). The other heads were reading without a problem. So at least, the heads from the donor should have read the SA from the first or second head. And after I put the first set of heads back into the donor, it worked again.

@F_ARG

I don't know why, but I changed the head map to 3 3 3 3 3 3 and could read the SA again. So I changed it back to 3 3 4 5 6 7 and now the drive is reading the data from Head 7. But when the drive do nothing, it starts to click slightly.

I also tried to restore some pics, that were stored with head 6 and 7 and they were OK. So the data seems to be OK.

Thank you for your help!

Hi ,
I have a Case Today .Its a Totally different Case .The Top Platter Was Having a Circular Ring But The Slider Was Still There .In This Case I Had To Physical Cut The Head .So To Revive It " Ram Headmap " Is The Only Way Other Then Hotswap .I am Glad You Got the Job Done ,Keep Up The Good Work

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com