All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toshiba 500 GB drive 2.5 inch cyclic redundancy check
PostPosted: February 10th, 2017, 21:23 

Hey guys iam new here and got an problem i got a Toshiba drive model Mq01abf050 500 GB out of an laptop i have it in a usb to sata adapter and get an cyclic redundancy check error..I got it running on windows 7 i have tryed to use PIO mode but cant seem to change it any suggestions would be great..i also have a TTL adapter with sediv..per following Spildit "thank you so much for your time and information" and all the rest of you!.

Post subject: Re: Toshiba 500 GB drive 2.5 inch cyclic redundancy check
PostPosted: February 10th, 2017, 21:55 

Hi there !!!

So, do you need to recover the data from that Toshiba drive ?

First of all DO NOT USE USB. Connect the drive DIRECTLY to SATA.

Can you SCAN the drive with VICTORIA ? Does the drive detect at all ? Does ID at all ? Does it stay BSY ?

PIO mode is VERY SLOOWWWW. Even if you were to use PIO to image/clone the drive it would take 1 entire day to clone/image 120 GB ou of that drive, assuming it doesn't have bad sectors. My old HRT 3.0 version in PIO would take more or less that amount of time to clone even a good drive in PIO and that is as fast as you can go. You could activate 32 bit transference to go as twice as fast but even so it would be 240 GB a day, so at least 3 days to clone/image the drive. With something that supports UDMA it will be just some hours assuming the drive doesn' have bad sectors. If you need to recover the data and the drive still reads then ddrescue or hddsuperclone might be the way to go.

The TTL adaptor will NOT HELP unless the drive is stuck on BSY or something like that. If the problem with the drive is a patch of bad blocks or damaged head but it's still detected then you shouldn't need the terminal.

Do you have the latest version of SeDiv (paid version) ? If so you should be at 5.1.7.10

If the drive detects ok you can use SeDiv to make some testing.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DRIVE PLUGGED TO SATA !!!!

SEDIV (and the majority of FW tools) will NOT WORK under USB.

If the drive detects ok you can use the ATA scan function on the SEDIV tool and select a scan by heads. Then try to verify the surface using one head at a time.

TO SCAN A TOSHIBA YOU MUST DISABLE SUPER ON FIRST !!!! USE SEDIV MENU TO DO SO :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=1903

If you don't need the data on the drive check S.M.A.R.T. status and check if you can scan the surface of the drive.

If you just have a bunch of BAD SECTORS you might get away with something like this :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=1900

But if one entire head is not working you have to disable it to re-use the drive. THIS ASSUMES THAT YOU DON'T NEED THE DATA !!!!

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=1897

IF YOU NEED THE DATA and one head is not working then i suggest using something like a DDI4, PC3K, HRT-DRE UDMA, ec to IMAGE THE DRIVE using HEAD MAP. The replace the heads under HEPA 100 aseptic room, etc .... and clone/image the head that you are missing....

But again ... more information is needed to know what is wrong with your drive ..

And if DATA IS IMPORTANT .... JUST USE A PROFESSIONAL DATA RECOVERY FIRM !!!