Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

How to turn off background media scan?

November 5th, 2017, 7:39

Hi, I recently acquired some Seagate savvio 10k.5 ST9900805SS and constellation ES.2 ST33000650SS sas drives, with EMC firmware. After reformatting to 512B sector size I can use them in windows. However the drives are actually much noisier at idle than load, they are constantly seeking and scrubbing it seems. I believe this may have something to do with the constant background media scans, so what can I do to turn off that feature?

Re: How to turn off background media scan?

November 5th, 2017, 21:08

Figured it out reading the sdparm documentation. For others who may be interested, it is
sdparm --clear=EN_BMS --save /dev/sdX

November 6th, 2017, 15:11

Thanks for the heads up.

September 18th, 2021, 12:30

There is an alternative. A tool in smartmontools, which is able to turn the BMS on/off - smartctl.
First check if it is supported by the drive. For sda run:
Code:
smartctl /dev/sda -c

and check if output states "Auto Offline data collection on/off support.". If it's supported run:
Code:
smartctl /dev/sda --offlineauto=off

Man page: https://www.smartmontools.org/browser/trunk/smartmontools/smartctl.8.in

As background media scans will no longer be performed run immediate offline scans and longDST on a regular basis.
Code:
smartctl -t offline /dev/sda
smartctl -t long /dev/sda
Post a reply