All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recover Deleted Partition
PostPosted: September 25th, 2018, 16:58 

I am trying to recover a backup 8tb drive that was partitioned as 1 whole 8tb volume. I tried to use testdisk which saw the partition, but when I recovered it set a 2tb partition with the last 5tb unallocated. Is there another program I should try?

Post subject: Re: Recover Deleted Partition
PostPosted: September 25th, 2018, 17:24 

Could we see the Partitions window in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/

PostPosted: September 25th, 2018, 22:12 

Heres what it shows

Attachments:
log.jpg
log.jpg [ 456.51 KiB | Viewed 9009 times ]
paritions.jpg
paritions.jpg [ 83.99 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 1:07 

noken wrote:
but when I recovered it set a 2tb partition with the last 5tb unallocated.

bad idea to make changes and writing on the source drive

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 1:29 

@noken, if you doubleclick the "found NTFS 8TB BCF" partition and expand the Root, do you see your original file/folder structure?

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 22:12 

Yes, the directory structure appears to be intact. How should i proceed? As it looks like test disk made a new 2tb partition, would that affect any recovery?

I agree with the above poster about making changes to the source drive - should i get another 8 tb and copy it? Is there a way to clone a raw drive like this?

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 23:59 

DMDE will clone your drive (Tools -> Copy Sectors).

Why did you need to use Testdisk? Was the file system inaccessible? Does the drive have physical problems?

Can you retrieve a SMART report? Are there any reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors? You could use CrystalDiskInfo:

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 1:32 

Heres what it shows. I originally used testdisk as it came highly recommended, had i known about dmde i would have used that instead. I dont have a whole lot of experience with data recovery.

Attachments:
cdi.jpg
cdi.jpg [ 224.12 KiB | Viewed 8892 times ]

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 1:33 

The drive has no physical problems but i was unable to access the file system as the partition had been wiped.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 2:09 

noken wrote:
The drive has no physical problems but i was unable to access the file system as the partition had been wiped.

In that case you just need to undo the changes made by Testdisk.

R-click the Extended (0F) partition and select Remove the Partition. Delete both the partition and the Logic.disk "MSData (07)".

R-click Drive 1 and select Reset GPT + MBR signatures.

R-click the "found NTFS" partition and select Insert the Partition (undelete).

Click Apply to apply the changes, then exit and reboot. Hopefully nothing else needs to be done.

These edits are best applied to your clone. After all, you need a backup anyway.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 9:55 

Hi everyone, sorry to bring back such an old thread but I came across this while searching for a solution to my own problem, which seems very similar so I also downloaded and ran a scan with DMDE.

In my case, I accidentally deleted a partition on my backup HDD while doing a clean install of Windows last night. Windows went onto a separate SSD, but during the install I forgot to remove my HDD (which contains photos, videos, docs, important things) and mistakenly removed a partition on it. Since then, I haven't done anything with the HDD other than run scans with freeware to try and find the lost partitions - I haven't tried to recover any data, recover partitions, format or convert the HDD.

My computer (running Windows 10) recognizes the HDD as a disk drive connected by USB, but it does not show up as a drive in File Manager and I cannot the contents at all. In Disk Management, I see it as Disk 1 (of 2) but it has no drive letter assigned, and shows up as 467gb of unallocated space. I do not have the option in Disk Management to assign it a drive letter and my only options are to convert to GPT, convert to Dynamic Disk, or create a Simple Volume on it.

Attached is the screenshot of the scan results from DMDE. That $Root folder appears to have everything I want to recover, assuming all the data within the subfolders can be recovered as well if this problem is fixable. What I'm not sure now is the next step, here are my concerns:
1. The scan results show what appear to be quite a few recoverable partitions and I wish I could say with 100% certainty, but I'm not sure if I deleted one or more partitions off the HDD so I'm concerned there may be more.
2. If there are more that just didn't turn up even during the deep scan, and I do not recover them now, are those partitions and the data in them lost for good?
3. If DMDE did not find any other partitions during the deep scan, *can* they even be located by other means?
4. Can/should I "play it safe" and simply select all the volumes for recovery? If so, what would that look like if things were recovered?

Ideally, I just want to be able to mount this HDD as a regular drive back into my computer. It is in there now physically but as I said, not showing up as a drive. TIA.

Attachments:
DMDE ss.png
DMDE ss.png [ 128.59 KiB | Viewed 7437 times ]

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 20:01 

Show us the Partitions window that appears when you launch DMDE. There is no need for a full scan.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 17:41 

Last week I had a case that drive have plugged to mobile phone. File system gone. And user made a partition to drive.
I have tried many partition recovery programs. Rstudio could see lost partition. MRT also could find. I excrat user data . After than tried to reconstruct lost partition. Only DMDE could find and fixed lost partition. ( my first time to use DMDE for a recovery) . After fixed I made 2 another steps to make drive initial situation.