All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd hand harddisk to new - how to check manipulation
PostPosted: March 24th, 2019, 14:51 

Hey there.

I just bought a second hand PC from around 2014 for the i7-4790K inside. Also there was a WD 2TB hard disk inside. So i thought i could use that in some other PC. But i checked the SMART, Power On Count is 87 and Power on hours now is 60. (was 82 and 58 when i got is). This seams to less. The SSD in that computer had around 2000 Power on Hours.

There is a 120 GB Samsung SSD with OS and the 2TB for data I suppose. Now could it be the hard disk SMART is reset? I did a data restore and couldn't find any thing. Resetting SMART on WD is easily done whit WDR, already did that in a self test.

Now could this one be manipulated and can we proof it. As said i bought the PC for the i7, the hard disk is just some nice extra.

Here some pictures.

Attachments:
Harddisk3.png
Harddisk3.png [ 23.1 KiB | Viewed 4195 times ]
harddisk 2.PNG
harddisk 2.PNG [ 30.35 KiB | Viewed 4195 times ]
harddisk 1.PNG
harddisk 1.PNG [ 132.7 KiB | Viewed 4195 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2nd hand harddisk to new - how to check manipulation
PostPosted: April 13th, 2019, 2:34 

Well, what does the seller say, when questioned with the Jack Bauer “towel” method ? :?

Quote:
Russians didn't have hi-tech equipment, so they kinda had to make do with what was around. Sort of like what I'm doin' right now. You probably don't think I could force this towel down your throat. But trust me, I can. All the way. Except I hold onto this one little bit at the end. When your stomach starts to digest it... I pull it out, taking your stomach lining with it. Most people, they take about a week to die. It's very painful.