All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noob needing help. TOSHIBA HDWA130 (Low-Energy E300 Drive).
PostPosted: October 18th, 2019, 5:26 

I was using this drive in an external drive bay, Apex Legends (Thanks ORIGIN) caused a pc crash, on reboot it became a RAW Drive. Thought it was a problem with the dock, switched docks, now it doesn't even spin on. The Dock was a cheap microcenter inland dock. REad online NOW that those dock sometimes have the wrong PSU and it can fry a HDD. Not sure if that is true but hey.
Based on what I have been seeing in forums online is that it is a chance that the pcb failed so a PCB + Bios Chip swap could rez it. i never manhandled the drive, no shaking or nothing. i always wait a bit before doing the swap of a drive from dock to dock (like until I can touch the drive and not feel it spinning or anything.)
It is a
HDWA130
Drive REV: ARA AA30/CF0
HDKPJ30AKA01 S
DT01ABA300
jul 2015
Made in China.

Finding the pcb looks like it aint easy because I can't match the STICKER on the back that reads:
PF00035
TS0242A
M38520
1CCB
^Do I need to match this entire number sequence on the back sticker?
For example I found a DT01ACA200 from JUL2015 made in china with *what I think to be* the same first 3 sequences of numbers. (waiting on guy to tell me)

[PF00035
TS0242A
M38520]

but not the matching 4th sequence and again it isn't the same model either it is a 2tb not low-energy 7200rpm drive.

I CAN find matching PCbs with the engraved(?) number of
220 0A90380 01
and I can still find these drives online for not so cheap. But again IDK how I am to match these pcbs? I read that different batches can be different so it can be a toss up. Would any PCB from the same model and year work? I think not because of what I read about matching the country and manfact date which I can't tell from some online listings

I been looking all on the internet with all the info I can type of the drive and the drive seems almost impossible to find the info I need.

I have a rework station and some very poor people experience with repairing small home electronics> (Fixing very minor game console problems and I did a RCA cable and tonearm PCB replacement on a pair of turntables I own, repair shops sometimes be too expensive so I tried my best and was lucky the shits work. I am 1 billion percent not a pro tho)
If I can't or end up to chicken to risk fixing it, I already sent quote requests for data recovery services
If I found one though, would getting a replacement drive of the same model and sending it with the failed drive help pros recover the drive and save some money on the repair if it isn't just the pcb?
Would i be better off locating a replacement drive/compatible PCB and sending it with the broken HDD anyway?
I am a college student so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if that would bring the repair/recovery cost down.
I am in Chicago so if there are any reputable places or people I am more than willing to make a deal to get my data. I ain't baller tho, so I obviously am gonna look for the most affordable option but this drive is highly important for sentimental reasons so I can take the L if the price is gonna be expensive but even then it may take me a while to scrounge up $$ for what the prices I read online for data recovery are.

Anyone Rez a drive like this with a PCB swap that can help me find the parts I need ?

Post subject: Re: Noob needing help. TOSHIBA HDWA130 (Low-Energy E300 Driv
PostPosted: October 18th, 2019, 19:45 

Update, confirmed earlier that even if I tried Power only, no sata data cable. Not a peep from the hdd. its out cold.

Post subject: Re: Noob needing help. TOSHIBA HDWA130 (Low-Energy E300 Driv
PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 0:58 

Your model is a rebadged Hitachi. A replacement PCB + firmware transfer should cost no more than US$50:

https://www.hdd-parts.com/14090305.html

Measure the TVS diodes and fuses in the top RH corner of the PCB:

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-14437584971410/91711043-6.gif

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

That said, the original problem (RAW drive) is probably not PCB related.