All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 7 or Windows 10
PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 3:33 

Hi all
As we all are aware of , Faithful windows 7 support is about to end. Windows 7 may not get updated after Jan 2020.
I would like to know what community feels about the same. Are you going to change OS or stuck to windows 7
I am still using windows 7 on all my machines as I found windows 10 too erratic and control less ( updates control / reboot etc)

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 or Windows 10
PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 3:47 

I will stay with W7 till i can! I don't trust W10. Automatic reboots, telemetry, ads... no!

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 9:35 

Yeah, checking an over-night recovery job in the morning only to find a Windows 10 update still configuring an update is a PITA. You could try Windows Update Blocker. If you have Windows 7 Pro, I would recommend that you update to Win 10 Pro and configure Windows to delay updates substantially, or at least until it's convenient.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 18:33 

If you need control of the updates, you need the Pro version of Windows 10, and use group policy to control (and even disable) Windows updates. With the Home version, you take what you get and deal with it.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 18:50 

I'm just curious, why are some of you upgrading to Windows 10?

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 19:02 

thatdellguy wrote:
I'm just curious, why are some of you upgrading to Windows 10?

That is kind of like asking "Why aren't you still using XP?"

Maybe because Windows 7 is becoming end of life, and some programs will start to not work with it (program will be stuck at a version and won't update). Plus since it will stop receiving updates, it will start becoming less secure and more vulnerable to being hacked. So really the only reason to not upgrade is to be able to run legacy software that won't work on the newer operating system.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 19:21 

I haven't had any issues with program compatibility. I could really care less about support or updates. My Windows 7 64bit PC3000 machines haven't been updated normally since 2011 and run wonderful.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 19:36 

thatdellguy wrote:
I haven't had any issues with program compatibility. I could really care less about support or updates. My Windows 7 64bit PC3000 machines haven't been updated normally since 2011 and run wonderful.

The program incompatibility will come on slowly after Windows 7 actually becomes end of life. But if all you need it for is PC3000, then as long as PC3000 keeps working with it then you would be okay.

As for Windows updates, I am with you on having a system that I don't update so it does not break. As long as you don't go surfing online with it, then security is not as much of an issue. I held on to XP as long as I could, but eventually I had to move on.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 19:58 

I'm assuming this discussion, being on a data recovery forum, is based on computer operating systems that we use today for data recovery and not surfing the web.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 20:43 

thatdellguy wrote:
I'm assuming this discussion, being on a data recovery forum, is based on computer operating systems that we use today for data recovery and not surfing the web.

That may be assuming too much for some.

But it doesn't change the fact that program incompatibility will creep in. It is just a matter of time.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2019, 4:33 

maximus wrote:
But it doesn't change the fact that program incompatibility will creep in. It is just a matter of time.

With so many updates per year from ACE and others we are safe :lol:

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 6:24 

Here is update to my post --

Using windows 7 is not technically best practice for larger drives having 4KN alignment , read why --

Windows 7:
512n = Supported
512e = Supported if KB982018 or Service Pack 1 is installed.
4Kn = Not Supported
everything else = Not Supported

https://www.datacore.com/blog/stories-from-the-bit-shift-or-what-means-512n-vs-512e-vs-4kn-vs-flash-pages/

The terms 512N and 4kN describe physical sector sizes of HDDs—the smallest amount of data which can be written to or read from the drive. In other words, a 512N HDD has 512 byte sectors and a 4kN HDD has 4 kbyte sectors. Sometimes the 4kN drives are named AF-Drives (Advanced-Format-Drives).

4kN sectors were introduced to hold more data on the platters without bumping up the LBA (logical block addressing) scheme. Unfortunately, not all operating systems and applications were ready to deal with the larger 4kN sectors, especially when writing less than 4k bytes. To deal with that dilemma the HDD manufacturers invented 512e. A 512e HDD emulates an HDD controller with 8 sectors of 512 bytes and still uses a 4 kbyte physical sector. It looks like you’re talking to a 512N drive. This compatibility comes at a price. If not all 8 emulated sectors are updated by a write, then the HDD reads the 4k sector from the disk into a buffer, updates the changed emulated sector space and then writes the updated 4k sector back to disk. This means that a single 512 byte operation translates into two 4kN operations. Since a disk head can only do one thing at a time, either read or write, 512e takes at least two spindle rotations to write the data, where it is only required a single rotation for 512N. In case the write is outside the 4k alignment the same procedure turns out to take 4 rotations, further aggravating the delay. This occurs for example when a 1k write updates the last emulated sector of a 4k sector and the first sector of the next 4k sector in line.

here is another article
http://wp.xin.at/archives/2581

Attachments:
4.PNG
4.PNG [ 99.81 KiB | Viewed 9640 times ]

PostPosted: December 13th, 2019, 11:39 

While getting hit with random Windows updates and reboots can be annoying, I must admit that I have found that Windows 10 seems to perform faster. And, as others have stated, there are ways to prevent most of the forced windows updates that require sudden rebooting.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 23:13 

So guys
Should we go ahead with 4KN drives in our storage where we need to transfer large customer data often from failing / post head transplant drives which demands top notch performance.
We cant afford 512b emulation and allow degraded disk performance. Often we get cases where large no. of files ( millions) are to be recovered. Note with 512 byte emulation it will make copying so slow .
On the other hand we will be needing compatibility too as we get all legacy hardware as well.
So should we choose 4KN or 512E

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 23:39 

Modern OS (not XP) will normally align to a 4k boundary, or a multiple of it. And a typical NTFS file system will have a 4k cluster size. So it should be naturally aligned, causing no loss of speed.

FYI some of the 512E drives come with a jumper setting that is designed to offset by one sector to account for XP starting at sector 63, to resolve performance issues.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2019, 23:35 

maximus wrote:
Modern OS (not XP) will normally align to a 4k boundary, or a multiple of it. And a typical NTFS file system will have a 4k cluster size. So it should be naturally aligned, causing no loss of speed.

FYI some of the 512E drives come with a jumper setting that is designed to offset by one sector to account for XP starting at sector 63, to resolve performance issues.

Hi Maximus
I am afriad this may not be entirely true ----------

NTFS file system is only logical part , if OS does not support 4KN (windows 7 comes under this) then this will be not truely 4KN system and earlier transfer issue will remain.
Read full MS view on 4KN support windows Versions -
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hel ... in-windows

Attachments:
ms policy.PNG
ms policy.PNG [ 25.81 KiB | Viewed 8206 times ]