All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SSD cloning with hddsuperclone
PostPosted: January 25th, 2020, 5:17 

Hi maximus
I have got a M.2 NGFF SSD having may be defective / weak initial sectors .
I have converted it to SATA using adapter
I want to know cloning this with both free and pro version will have different results ? I have cloned it using pc3000 but want to give it a another try using software. In cloning with pc3000 7-8 sectors were unreadable .SSD is having bitlocker encryption.
Cloned disk shows unallocated space . I have cloned SSD using another tool and rebuild both service partition and main OS was successfully though this tool also lead to unallocated space only.
If you want I can try pro version.

Post subject: Re: SSD cloning with hddsuperclone
PostPosted: January 25th, 2020, 20:02 

For any drive with just a few bad sectors (or even a bad spot with lots of bad sectors), the pro version of HDDSuperClone will not read any more sectors than the free version. The reality is that ddrescue will likely do just as well as PC-3000 in this case, unless the PC-3000 is sending some magic VSC commands to get the data. HDDSuperClone does not use any VSC commands for reading.

But if the drive has issues such as slow reading or locking up, then the available timeouts in the direct modes of the pro version can help work with the unstable drive. It cannot magically get more good sectors, and in fact using short timeouts to speed up the recovery will result in less good reads, and you would need to read the sectors that timed out again with a longer timeout for the most data. The passthrough modes of the free version rely on the timeout of the OS, which is usually 60 seconds before the OS gives up.

So does that answer your question?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2020, 20:27 

ISTM that this SSD may be a good candidate for the following technique:

In-circuit recovery of SSDs with "weak" NAND:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2740

PostPosted: January 25th, 2020, 23:41 

Awesome fzabkar :D :good: You are great
As usual you have provided most up to date information.
Rather I have now decided to put same query in both hddguru forum as well as The HDD oracle. I am sure this way I will get most comprehensive knowledge .
Thank you so much

PostPosted: January 25th, 2020, 23:45 

maximus wrote:
For any drive with just a few bad sectors (or even a bad spot with lots of bad sectors), the pro version of HDDSuperClone will not read any more sectors than the free version. The reality is that ddrescue will likely do just as well as PC-3000 in this case, unless the PC-3000 is sending some magic VSC commands to get the data. HDDSuperClone does not use any VSC commands for reading.

But if the drive has issues such as slow reading or locking up, then the available timeouts in the direct modes of the pro version can help work with the unstable drive. It cannot magically get more good sectors, and in fact using short timeouts to speed up the recovery will result in less good reads, and you would need to read the sectors that timed out again with a longer timeout for the most data. The passthrough modes of the free version rely on the timeout of the OS, which is usually 60 seconds before the OS gives up.

So does that answer your question?

Thank you maximus
Actually SSD does not have bad sectors (skipped) but slow spots. I must go through hddsuperclone manual multiple times to know all functions and about various advanced settings without which I am not using full potential of the program.Still I will give it a try with default settings till customer takes SSD back & will post results here which might help you to analyse performance.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2020, 0:10 

Quote:
Thank you maximus
Actually SSD does not have bad sectors (skipped) but slow spots. I must go through hddsuperclone manual multiple times to know all functions and about various advanced settings without which I am not using full potential of the program.Still I will give it a try with default settings till customer takes SSD back & will post results here which might help you to analyse performance.

Usually the default settings are good, but all cases are different. For slow areas with the default settings, in phases 1-2 if a read takes longer than 1 second it will initiate a skip. While the head skipping algorithm is mean for physical drives, I have seen a log here and there from SDD that show it can work with them too. If you want to provide data, then enable the phase logs in the advanced settings so the process can be seen better.

How long do you think the customer will allow you to keep the drive? If long enough then let me know if you want to try the pro version, send me PM with your email. I am curious about how it does work for SSD recovery for cases like this.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2020, 3:54 

How do professional tools account for the "read disturb" effect?

PostPosted: January 26th, 2020, 6:50 

Here is video of cloning by free version.
while there are no bad sectors there are aprox. 76 slow skips and skips as well.Unfortunately log is not saved.
Download link -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1czbwvw ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: July 12th, 2021, 11:09 

Does anybody know why Hddoracle.com is down? I was interested in Fzabkar method.
Thank you