All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burn DVD file in bad sector of HDD
PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 6:51 

If a zip file, rar or exe from my collection is located in the bad sector of the HDD badblock, is the DVD burning canceled during the% burning process or before? Is the cancellation and error message shown by the burning software (ImgBurn Free, Ashampoo Free, BurnAware free, Nero) or by Windows? does Windows XP do this? XP is from the year 2000 and the HDD is from the year 2000 IDE

please answer me all these doubts

Post subject: Re: Burn DVD file in bad sector of HDD
PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 17:38 

https://forum.hddguru.com/search.php?au ... 9&sr=posts
Quote:
Posted: Today, 11:51
If a zip file, rar or exe from my collection is located in the bad sector of the HDD badblock, is the DVD burning canceled during the% burning process or before? Is the cancellation and error message shown by the burning software (ImgBurn Free, Ashampoo Free, BurnAware free, Nero) or by Windows? does Windows XP do this? XP is from the year 2000 and the HDD is from the year 2000 IDE

Posted: December 11th, 2020, 4:02
i used imgburn free, ashampoo free, burnaware free
if any zip, rar and exe files are in bad sector badblock they showed error and the DVD burning is aborted?

Posted: December 8th, 2020, 0:01
Are zip, rar and exe files located in defective sectors of the HDD burned to DVD as if they were whole files without corruption?

Posted: December 7th, 2020, 15:09
My question is related to two situations: if the firmware's performance limit is full then the files I download will be played on the badblocks? And the other situation if my rar, zip and exe files are in good sector and that sector becomes badblocks in these two cases if I am going to burn a DVD ...

Posted: December 6th, 2020, 1:12
If the zip, rar and exe files are located in the badblock defective sector or in a part of the badblock defective sector, what will be shown during DVD burning? I used Ashampoo free, burnaware fre, imgburn free programs

Posted: December 3rd, 2020, 14:49
So files that are in bad sectors badblocks will be burned to DVD? there is no protection to avoid burning that ignores badblocks sector errors and file corruption is present in badblock bad sector?

Posted: December 3rd, 2020, 10:39
files in bad sectors of the HDD (badblock) can be burned on DVD?

Posted: December 3rd, 2020, 0:46
In that case what happens with zip, rar and exe files in bad sector badblock try to burn to DVD?

Posted: December 2nd, 2020, 23:00
Is ECC the protection that prevents files that are stored in bad sectors badblocks (downloaded in these sectors or good sector that became bad sector) from being normally written to DVD discs?

Posted: December 2nd, 2020, 1:15
If a rar, zip or exe file is good in a good sector of the HDD and that sector becomes bad (badblock) then these files are corrupted and burned on DVD discs as if they were non-corrupted files? I use ImgBurn, BurnAware Free and Ashampoo Free

Posted: November 29th, 2020, 11:11
What are all the protection barriers that prevent files from being corrupted because they are in bad sectors and badblocks? when a file is recorded in a good sector of the HDD, that sector becomes bad, corrupting the zip file and exe that will be burned to DVD?

Posted: November 28th, 2020, 11:22
When mapping allocate and isolate bad sectors in the firmware is it exhausted the files that I download and transfer to the HDD started to be saved in the bad sectors corrupting them and when I burn the DVD with these files will I be burning corrupted files? the files are zip, rar, exe

Posted: November 24th, 2020, 12:21
What appears when a file is downloaded to a defective sector of the HDD? what appears when a file in a good sector becomes a bad sector and then is copied to the DVD? will be copied corrupted? what barriers and protection for this problem do not harm exe and zip files?

Posted: November 23rd, 2020, 13:44
i have a dvd with pack many roms, zipped files and .exe files totaling 3GB and it takes 1 hour to copy from the DVD to the PC but the transfer is completed, is this dvd bad and I throw it in the trash? it was corrupted because i downloaded it on my hdd which has badblock

Posted: November 23rd, 2020, 11:02
if the data is saved on a bad block, or a bad block develops. the computer will try and read that sector several times and peace together the data. Then it will use that data, mark the sector bad and carry on. Most of the time the data is corrupted and not usable if its a program. If its a video fi...

Posted: November 22nd, 2020, 16:28
my doubt is, when a hdd has badbloks bad sectors what will happen and when the firmware table is full what will happen? is it possible for the file to be saved in bad sectors by corrupting it and after that burned to DVD?

Posted: November 21st, 2020, 18:39
If the HDD has SMART then does it automatically allocate and isolate bad sectors preventing files from being saved to those bad sectors of the HDD? From what year SMART is present in the HDDS? When the table of reallocate bad sectors of the firmware is full will the files be saved in the bad sectors?

Posted: November 14th, 2020, 19:09
I have Seagate and Western Digital HDDs from the year 2000 and these HDDS have badblocks bad sectors and I downloaded important files in these HDDS so I thought these files were saved and corrupted in the bad sectors and if the error correction table is full making it impossible for more corrections...

please answer me all these doubts...

Well, you're a persistent fellow, I'll give you that ! è_é

Who's on first...

Let's give it a shot anyway :
Quote:
is the DVD burning canceled during the% burning process or before?

How could it be cancelled before it even began ?

Quote:
Is the cancellation and error message shown by the burning software (ImgBurn Free, Ashampoo Free, BurnAware free, Nero) or by Windows?

How would this distinction be any relevant to the outcome ?

Apparently you already got replies, several of them (haven't read all the above discussions — I'd like to preserve what little sanity I have left for a little longer, at the close of such an insanity-packed year), as accurate as possible considering the general... fuzziness of each of those posts of yours, and yet you keep on asking the same basic question over and over with a slightly different wording, it's a bit... puzzling, as if you were a rudimentary robot, or a slowly emanating self-consciousness of teh Internetz... (Perhaps Skynet ain't the kind of cold scary monster it was cracked up to be after all, perhaps this is all we have to fear when it comes to intelligence spontaneously emerging from networking computers. As if the Terminator franchise hadn't been dumbed down enough, imagine the next installment with thousands of sonicmarios popping up as holograms to random people at random places and asking the dumbest questions imaginable, over and over, until they get insane and start disembowelling their neighbours with a wooden cooking spoon, and an 80 years old Ahnold who did alottareps to get back in shape has to go to the past when sonicmario's parents are about to mate to tell them : DON'T DO DAT! before it's too late...)

More seriously, a few things you could do, if you're actually willing to do something based on the replies you get to your questions, and perhaps break the spell of this endless cycle of doom that goes on in your troubled mind, so that it can possibly find peace and solace, even in those “troubled times” as they say on the “new normal” TV, would be :
– running a verification of files' integrity for ZIP / RAR archives (in WinRAR : “Commands” => “Test archived files”) ;
– looking for totally empty sectors in the midst of otherwise densely populated areas in other file types.
Regarding the latter, I don't know if dedicated tools exist for that purpose, but I've found two methods :
– With WinHex, “Search” => “Simultaneous search” => check “GREP syntax” and “Direct byte-wise translation for GREP”, then in the search term field type “\x00{512}” (without the quotation marks), and run (no, not with your feet! too late he's gone... well at least sumpting was accomplished !). It's normal to find empty sectors in a file, what is generally not normal is to see an area densely populated with seemingly random data, and then suddenly a totally empty area, starting at a sector boundary.
– Another method involves using a specific feature in ddrescue, designed for a different purpose, but which effectively does just that : detect and mark empty sectors in any input file. Then the result can be graphically displayed with ddrescueview. I explained it there.

Are you more than happy now ?

Last edited by abolibibelot on December 13th, 2020, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 17:44 

my doubt is what happens when trying to burn DVD disc where the zip, rar and exe files are in a defective sector of the HDD?

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 17:51 

Oh, f**k there he goes again !

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 18:54 

Simply copy the files you want to burn to another location. If one of your source files is broken the copy process will hang under XP. This way you know if a certain file is dammaged - it cannot be read.

Then simply burn the copied file to DVD.

Remember, a DVD is not suitable to be used as long term storage media.

There is no use in answering your very special questions because they arise out of your way to resolve a supposed problem.
The better solution is to find a way for your problem, not for the way you want to solve it.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 19:24 

Oh FFS! Here a the most basic answer of what happens, step by step.
1. The DVD burning software uses simple OS read calls to read the data from the hard drive.
2. The data read from the hard drive is written to the DVD in real time (with a buffer of course).
3. The OS can’t read a sector, so it returns an error in reading, after probably taking much time to attempt the read.
4. The burning software is not prepared to handle any errors with reading, so it fails and stops writing, creating a bad burn, a failed DVD disc, AKA a drink coaster. The burning software expects good data, and is not capable of handling read errors. And don’t bother asking if there is burning software that can handle read errors, because there is not any.
5. THE END!

If that is not good enough, please review abolibibelot's previous response, and make sure to click on it to follow the link!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 19:27 

maximus wrote:
Oh FFS! Here a the most basic answer of what happens, step by step.
1. The DVD burning software uses simple OS read calls to read the data from the hard drive.
2. The data read from the hard drive is written to the DVD in real time (with a buffer of course).
3. The OS can’t read a sector, so it returns an error in reading, after probably taking much time to attempt the read.
4. The burning software is not prepared to handle any errors with reading, so it fails and stops writing, creating a bad burn, a failed DVD disc, AKA a drink coaster. The burning software expects good data, and is not capable of handling read errors. And don’t bother asking if there is burning software that can handle read errors, because there is not any.
5. THE END!

If that is not good enough, please review abolibibelot's previous response, and make sure to click on it to follow the link!

is this error shown during% burning or before burning the DVD?

Windows XP and the year 2000 IDE HDD show this error for DVD burning software?

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 20:02 

Quote:
is this error shown during% burning or before burning the DVD?

during (wasted DVD)
Quote:
Windows XP and the year 2000 IDE HDD show this error for DVD burning software?

Yes, and you have no reason to use XP. None. Nada. Zero.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 20:58 

abolibibelot wrote:

Please refer to the quoted link, as it says it all.

This whole thing must be a joke to see how many will keep replying. It actually could be a spammer getting set up. Or the dumbest person on the planet. Either way, I am starting to think this user may need to be banned. 30 posts about the same simple question and can't understand any of the answers. Can we get someone banned for being just plain stupid? I am actually starting to think it could be a smart bot and not a person from some of the responses. Or just someone that is really board and has time to kill.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 21:39 

Quote:

Well, to nuance a bit (even if that's very risky in that particular situation and could start a whole new cycle of rambling) the above statement, which is generally true indeed, it can also happen that a defective HDD copies wrong data, instead of reporting a read error.
At least I've seen this happen with a 2TB 3.5" Toshiba drive purchased new in 2013, which started seriously misbehaving after only a few months, disconnecting randomly, and sometimes, indeed, copying wrong data, for instance, when comparing a corrupted file with a backup or the same file re-downloaded from the source, I could verify with WinHex that sectors which were different (but not empty) were actually found in another location in the original file — this despite having initially a perfect bill of health according to HD Sentinel (I kept screenshots, I didn't remember that part which made this case even more puzzling). Since Toshiba provided no direct support for 3.5" internal drives in Europe (don't know if it's still the case), I never touched a Toshiba drive ever since. But actually this was a Hitachi manufactured drive, namely a HDS5C3020BLE630, which makes me also wary about statements praising Hitachi drives as consistently being the very best there is.

Quote:
Yes, and you have no reason to use XP. None. Nada. Zero.

Well, I would suppose that what was meant here (if there's any meaning at all to all this) is that the optical discs in question were originally burned on a Windows XP system. He/she/“ze”/“heshe”/“shkle”/whatever must be trying to communicate with his/her/herms/xyr/shklers/whatevers{*} past self, which some quantum mechanics models would make theoretically possible...
And I would have gladly kept on using XP if it had been possible to adapt it to newer hardware / software and if security considerations hadn't been part of the equation... To me, at least ergonomically, it was much better thought out, for the most part, than anything that came afterwards. And I recently found out that there are still people who absolutely, positively, want to keep on using it or at least mimic its ergonomic experience as closely as possible on newer iterations.

{*} Don't laugh, this is dead serious.