All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird problem with a WD Purple 4TB drive
PostPosted: February 20th, 2021, 19:13 

I've been using this drive for some time, Hard Disk Sentinel says 869 days, and out of the blue one day it stopped showing the root content.

Microsoft Explorer, XYplorer, cmd all of them fail:

- MS Explorer says it can't access the drive but if I try to access a subfolder by entering its path it is able to access it.
- CMD says it can't find the file (?) though it does shows the drive label and serial number when using "dir F:\".
- XYplorer shows only the RECYCLE.BIN folder and can also list the content of a directory when I manually enter a directory path just like in MS Explorer.

VoidTools' Everything is able to scan and show the content of the drive and I can access the subfolders and all files just fine (of course I have to open them from Everything because there is no other way). I've tried booting to Parted Magic and from there I'm able to explore the root of the drive without problems.
I've tried changing the ownership to no avail. If I'm reading it correctly R-Studio found the NTFS table: https://i.imgur.com/LEZrAs6.png

S.M.A.R.T. is clean, all the tests I've ran on the drive have been completed without problems (HDS runs weekly short and conveyance tests on all the drives I have and none have throw an error). Right now I'm copying the files (I copied from Everything as it is the only one that can list the drive root) to another drive but it would be good to know what the hell happened, why suddenly I'm not able to explore the root of the drive from Windows, has this happened to someone else? I don't understand, if the MFT would be corrupted wont that mean no software should be able to explore and list the drive contents and certainly I shouldn't be able to explore the drive from Linux, right? I'm not an expert about Hard Drives so forgive me if I've said some dumb stuff as to my limited knowledge that is what I know/understood.

P.S. Right now the drive is in an USB enclosure (as seen in the pic) because I've just taken it out to replace it for another drive, all I've tried and explained have been done when it was connected through SATA.

Thanks for all the help anyone can provide.

Post subject: Re: Weird problem with a WD Purple 4TB drive
PostPosted: February 21st, 2021, 9:26 

Have you tried the drive on a different windows installation and are there any odd file names in the root?