All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seagate Archive HDD Failure. No Crash, No Spin, Silent.
PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 13:35 

Lardman wrote:
Do not initialize it or anything else in windows.

It is looking like firmware causing the problem are you absolutely sure the drive does not spin with the original rom using either the donor or original pcb. You really need the right tools to fix the firmware if that is the case or a potential pcb hot-swap after but at the risk of shorting....

Just check connect it up with the new donor and check in rstudio.

Repair shop said when they transfered my rom to a new pcb donor board PC3000 said the board was dead. When they transfered my rom information to another pcb donor board PC3000 said the board was good. In either case the good board that said PC3000 said was good with the correct bios transfer information still does not work on the hard drive.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 13:43 

You need a DR pro with the all hardware in front of them. You've taken this as far as you can DIY.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 13:58 

Lardman wrote:
You need a DR pro with the all hardware in front of them. You've taken this as far as you can DIY.

Well I did buy a rom dump tool and software. I am waiting on it in the mail. Maybe I can dump the rom and let everyone take a look at it?

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 14:16 

NeedsPractice wrote:
Lardman wrote:
When they transfered my rom information to another pcb donor board PC3000 said the board was good. In either case the good board that said PC3000 said was good with the correct bios transfer information still does not work on the hard drive.

To test the PCB on the PC3000, you need to prepare the ROM for Unlock tech mode, and to make the disk work, you need to remove it. Maybe they forgot to do it.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 14:27 

Tomset wrote:
NeedsPractice wrote:
Lardman wrote:
When they transfered my rom information to another pcb donor board PC3000 said the board was good. In either case the good board that said PC3000 said was good with the correct bios transfer information still does not work on the hard drive.

To test the PCB on the PC3000, you need to prepare the ROM for Unlock tech mode, and to make the disk work, you need to remove it. Maybe they forgot to do it.

They could have left it locked. I think they were pretty pissed I didn't send my drive to them for a big repair bill. Who knows. Is there a way I can remove this lock? (I do have a rom reader/programer on the way in the mail, can this lock/unlock the drive).

This is what the drive looks like in Windows with no spin after a while. It does show up but there is no noise. I'm sure if I did try to initialize it, it would say i/o communication error.

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 10442 times ]

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 15:16 

with the foreign pcb the drive does not start properly, albeit it reports full capacity. so it ain't mean no nothin'.
Running any recovery sw won't work, as long as foreign rom is used.

Anyway, there's a whole number of things that must be checked, it's a profession to recover data from dead media.
We can help with issues the user can likely fix, but it is obvious this thing has a couple of problems now and you have no experience in the field. You will have more and more questions as we answer them one by one, we are at the 4th page of posts and just started off.
It is also clear that you need the data from that disk. Can't get why you are messing with it. It's a misbelief you can't kill it for good without opening the lid, you can, and you might have already done it putting any pcb on the HDA and powering it up.
Can't find your link to your mp3, have you posted it?

pepe

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 15:48 

pepe wrote:
with the foreign pcb the drive does not start properly, albeit it reports full capacity. so it ain't mean no nothin'.

Anyway, there's a whole number of things that must be checked, it's a profession to recover data from dead media.
We can help with issues the user can likely fix, but it is obvious this thing has a couple of problems now and you have no experience in the field. You will have more and more questions as we answer them one by one, we are at the 4th page of posts and just started off.
It is also clear that you need the data from that disk. Can't get why you are messing with it. It's a misbelief you can't kill it for good without opening the lid, you can, and you might have already done it putting any pcb on the HDA and powering it up.

pepe

Sound and Picture of Random Donor Board - 01

https://ufile.io/elb2l658

Sound and Picture of Random Donor Board - 02

https://ufile.io/04n9ku2q

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 15:49 

pepe wrote:

pepe

Well I ordered a rom dump tool/programmer. Can we not look at the rom and fix it? reprogram the rom correctly and get this drive working again on a good donor board?

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 15:54 

by the second sound i draw the conclusion the intestines are OK, no preamp damage occured. So yes, if we can get the rom read and programmed into a good chip, your drive should be working. However, there's a couple of pitfalls on the route. What kind of reader have you ordered?

pepe

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 16:00 

pepe wrote:
by the second sound i draw the conclusion the intestines are OK, no preamp damage occured. So yes, if we can get the rom read and programmed into a good chip, your drive should be working. However, there's a couple of pitfalls on the route. What kind of reader have you ordered?

pepe

I ordered this (the complete kit with clip):

https://www.reveltronics.com/en/product ... rammer-usb

Also, which board would you want to reprogram? The repaired board with the transferred bios and new rom (drive is dead and doesn't turn on)? Or the random pcb board and random rom that keeps the hard drive on and spinning?

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 16:41 

first of all need all roms and don't program anything. Vcc should be set to 1.8V.
dumps must be checked before programming.

pepe

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 16:55 

pepe wrote:
first of all need all roms and don't program anything. Vcc should be set to 1.8V.

pepe

So set it to 1.8V and dump it and do nothing else and give you the data?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 19:21 

Okay I got the device, what kind of ROM BIOS chip is this? Is it a straight connection 1 to 1 or a not straight connection? I am trying to setup the wiring on the clip.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 20:19 

pepe wrote:

pepe

Okay, I dumped my ROM that was supposedly transferred over to the new rom from my old damaged rom. Please see below:

https://ufile.io/v66yjwgy

However, I am skepitcal because my original rom that they put on a random board can't be read (maybe its too damaged now?) (Or is this some random rom, and they said they transfered it over but really didn't, lol). I connected to it just like I did the new rom and I get no readings, everything just stays all "ff"s. I mean, I could take it off the board and see if I can get a better connection and then read it again.

However, what do you think about the above ROM?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 21:10 

pepe wrote:

pepe

Whoops, this one probably is better:

https://ufile.io/97dxkgne

This rom is definitely jacked. I programmed into another Donor Board, I have a ton. One that was booting up the drive and now after I programmed it with this same rom, its dead and doesn't do anything. Whatever the problem is, it is with this ROM. It got corrupted somehow.

Maybe File System Corruption or something?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 21:16 

pepe wrote:

pepe

FYI, when I still attach my best donor board it kicks the drive right up and stays on and sounds awesome. That original rom is the problem. I transfered it to another pcb board that was booting up the drive before but now its dead with that rom.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 21:59 

pepe wrote:

pepe

I dumped it (4) times:

https://ufile.io/smrzwk21

https://ufile.io/n84lwhrb

https://ufile.io/rg74a47s

https://ufile.io/4ucnlvro

Remember this is a dump from the new transfered rom. I just hope they got all of the original rom. I think they erased my original rom.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 23:17 

Recap:

1-Looks like my original bios was erased.

2-Looks like my original bios was only partially copied over to the new rom.: 512K worth.

3-I have one PCB Donor Board that boots up the hard drive and keeps it running but o/s can't read the data.

4. Data Recovery Place that transferred my bios to another PCB Donor Board, said they don't back up roms and they don't have my rom to email me.

What are my options?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 23:32 

I do have two rom chips that are detached from PCB Board's and both of them only have around 2K worth of data that is dumped. Maybe that is all the required information on the ROM chip.

Seems like when the ROM Chips are attached to the PCB Board they have more data.

Maybe we are in good shape.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 8:52 

Hello,

still using that file sharing site that drives me mad, while you could simply attach the file here...
Anyway it seems like all of your dumps contain only the first 512k, which is not enough, critical adaptive data is missing. So if the original chip is erased, you are busted.
Does your reader identify it, or you get no response from it?

pepe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next