Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Do you have lower success with these drives?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 6

Seagate rosewood head swap success rate.

April 21st, 2021, 7:08

I seem to have a low success rate with swapping rosewood series drives. Is there something that I am missing. Has anyone else experienced this? Tight spacing when inserting head combs is not an issue after receiving Apex tool labs latest rosewood set.

Re: Seagate rosewood head swap success rate.

April 21st, 2021, 7:37

It's not the head swap process problem. It's the shit they are made of. Both heads and platters... and the firmware... and construction itself :)

April 21st, 2021, 8:29

These are particularly sensitive to media damage and contamination. If your platters aren't spotless, trouble ensues.

April 21st, 2021, 10:11

When Rosewoods started to show up here, a high percentage had severe media damage. Was not excited at that time. Now I do several every week, success rate is on level with other model / brands. Kind of like them now :D

April 21st, 2021, 10:28

yeah RW drives are lovely :)
but it may need some time to fall in love with them...

pepe

April 21st, 2021, 14:45

Yeah, it's hit or miss. The platter quality is just trash. I have a case I just handled that worked after a head swap, but the drive was nearly 100% full. At around 50% recovered it started to get read errors and then the heads died. Open it up, and what do I find??? Rings in the platters now and I can literally see straight through the glass platters. :roll:

The coating on the platters is just insanely thin and degrades fast with any minor damage.

April 22nd, 2021, 4:04

data-medics wrote:Open it up, and what do I find??? Rings in the platters now and I can literally see straight through the glass platters. :roll:
I thought they were manufactured like that :lol: :lol:
Post a reply