All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to Open a WD 10TB Elements Hard Drive
PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 16:37 

I have an WD External Elements Hard Drive that dropped off the desk and now just clicks when I plug it in. I took the hard drive out and I saw a couple youtube videos that showed how they were able to open the hard drive and reset the arm that was stuck. The data on this drive is not all that critical, if I can get it back great, if not no big deal. I figured I would give this a shot. I already tried putting it in the freezer, and slightly banging it on one side, no luck.

The only problem with opening this drive is that it doesn't have screws like most have in order to take the cover off. One side of the hard drive has a solid metal plate attached. See images.

Anyone know how to open this beast?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

Attachments:
HD3.jpg
HD3.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 10252 times ]
HD2.jpg
HD2.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 10252 times ]
HD1.jpg
HD1.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 10252 times ]

Post subject: Re: Trying to Open a WD 10TB Elements Hard Drive
PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 16:59 

Helium filled. If your data isn't really really really valuable forget it and move on.

As for that nonsense about knocking it sharply , putting it in the freezer or opening it on your kitchen table.....

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 17:14 

"Percussive maintenance" is the last thing to try before the drive goes in the trash. Only do it if you have nothing to lose.

As for freezing, I can't see how it can do any harm in a helium drive, but it would be pointless anyway.

Last edited by fzabkar on May 6th, 2021, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 17:14 

Thanks Lardman!!!, you got me one step closer. A quick google search on Helium filled hard drives brought me to a video where the individual had to grind the weld off to peal the aluminum foil off.....wow....what a process.

btw putting the hard drive in the freezer has actually worked for me before on a different hard drive....lol It would run for about 5-10 minutes before I would need to re-freeze it......I did this about 15 times and was able to recover all my data

Do you think if I could cut a slice in the foil I would be able to peal enough of it away to access the screws.....of does the weld really need to come off?

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 0:05 

Quote:
I have an WD External Elements Hard Drive that dropped off the desk and now just clicks when I plug it in.

There is nothing to "reset", the clicking sound is the sound of bad heads. They are bad because the hard drive was dropped, it's very simple.
Once it stops moving heads at all but keeps spinning that would mean media damage finally got to it and you could firmly say your data good bye.
Most DR companies don't recover Helium Hitachi drives that have bad heads, so your data is likely unrecoverable anyway. But if you REALLY need your data don't open the drive, and search for people who do mechanical recoveries on Hitachi Helium drives (might take a while).

If data is not important then the easiest way to open this drive is to cut the foil with a knife and peel it off with pliers. You'll find a regular lid with screws underneath.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2021, 3:34 

lakpld wrote:
btw putting the hard drive in the freezer has actually worked for me before on a different hard drive....lol It would run for about 5-10 minutes before I would need to re-freeze it......I did this about 15 times and was able to recover all my data
I'm guessing that was a much older drive which just stopped working rather than one fell 3-4 ft. If you understand why this could work on that occasion you will understand why it can't in this.

By all means continue your investigations, the cost of those drives and the usual low value of data stored on them (normallly films or someone's "homework" folder) has prevented any serious R&D here.