All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did my HDD just died? Any way to repair it without format?
PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 5:30 

Did my HDD just died? When I plug it in, its going up to 100% activity with NO LOAD whatsoever, then keeps being at 100% with very high response time, being very unusable.
So this happened to me before, but it wasn't like that when I booted up the PC, so sometimes I had luck and it just went away. I figured it out back then, that it happened bcs I wanted to copy a big file over, and when I started copying, that happened. So yesterday, I compiled a kernel on Ubuntu like multiple times, and even now I have like 7 copys of it. I wanted to delete them but it got VERY, VERY slow, from 50mb/s to 30 and down to 300kb... then I rebooted to windows, it barely worked, tried to delete but it would just hang up. Next step was to reboot PC, but it wouldn't boot just infinetly load. I disconnected the HDD and everything went good (the windows is on a nvme m2, no idea why it wouldn't boot tho lol). So did the kernel repos f-ed up my 2TB disk, or what happened? In total I guess it was like 50GB, not bigger...
If I try to accest FIle Manager or check a folder, it instantly hangs up, being dead.
https://i.redd.it/m6dxlyanoe471.png

Post subject: Re: Did my HDD just died? Any way to repair it without forma
PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 6:48 

So I found out that I have some corrupted folders, how can I delete them? Tried wise cleaner, it just hangs up...

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 9:45 

Probably the drive had bad sectors and the disk is trying to read, or you might have a week head. Backup what you can and expect to buy a new Hard disk. It should not be slow. At some point, the drive could have gotten too hot, or been knocked. You could also try cooling the drive if it gets too hot. Also try it on a different computer and see if you get the same results. If you don't then its something to do with your computer.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 10:11 

ShaneWard wrote:
Probably the drive had bad sectors and the disk is trying to read, or you might have a week head. Backup what you can and expect to buy a new Hard disk. It should not be slow. At some point, the drive could have gotten too hot, or been knocked. You could also try cooling the drive if it gets too hot. Also try it on a different computer and see if you get the same results. If you don't then its something to do with your computer.

I got some solution for it, so I'll copy paste it here too, in case someone still have this problem (i saw that alot of people had it, but almost none had a solution, exept buying a new one)

actually it was exactly how I though it is, the folder in which I had all the kernel sources apparently had problems (idk, corrupted? but they were still working, but slowly) and whenever I tried to access them, the HDD would go nuts. Now that I renamed it to Windows.old and I deleted it with Disk Cleanup, the HDD is running smoothly (for now). I just tested error checking and its still going, so I'll keep it updated, since I saw many people had this problem, but they couldn't figure it out how to fix it.

edit: aparently it fixed something: https://pastebin.com/UF2vXd37

edit2: 4 of the folders are still there, trying to delete them. They seems to be the faulty ones (or at least a small part of them)

edit3: rmdir them, for now they go away 1 by 1