All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung ST2000LM003 : Can this be recovered?
PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 0:56 

Hi all,
I am a student. This HDD contains my entire coursework. The data is very important but I cannot afford professional data recovery service.

Brand : Samsung
Model : Momentus (Spinpoint)
Model No: ST2000LM003
Part No: HN-M201RAD/D
F/W: 2BC210002

Hard drive suddenly started giving problems a week ago. I could boot into OS with a 'No bootable device found' error. I reset the bios adn then I was able to boot again. I thought it should have been some bios issue.
Yesterday, there was an windows update, when I applied it I laptop failed on restrart. HDD gets detected in bios but won't boot. Tried Windows Startup Repair, no help. I booted onto a live linux usb, I could see that a 2TB HDD attached in the disks manager but I no other information about the drive was present, I was able to see the partition but couldn't mount it.

What have I done so far:
1) Tried running ntfsfix from ubuntu. Didn't help
2) Connected HDD to a different laptop/desktop. Can confirm issue is with the HDD.
3) Disk does not show in diskpart or disk management so couldn't run chkdsk.

Finally I decided to open up the HDD to inspect it as I cannot afford a professional DR anyways. Opened up the HDD in a reasobably clean room. No dust on the platter. Closed it carefully.

Here are the observations:

1) The platters spin properly.
2) The head moves between the resting bay and platter for a few seconds initially on powerup but gets stuck to the edge of the platter after that. Makes a beeping sound and squeakish noise.
3) No visible scratches/damage on the platter.

Here is a link to video showing how the drive behaves - https://streamable.com/jlnoqi

How should I go about troubleshooting this and possibly recover the data? Is there a tutorial or wiki for some basic ATA commands/troubleshooting that I can follow?

I need to copy my coursework info from it and idc if it fails after that. Size of the enitre coursework is around 30gigs.

What I have?
1) A western digital drive that spins for few seconds and stops -- WD500LPVX
2) 3 Seagate drives that are perfectly working -- ST1000LM010,ST9500420AS, ST320LT020
3) Multimeters and few other basic electronic stuff.
4) USB TTL Adapter

Thank you for your time.

Edward

Post subject: Re: Samsung ST2000LM003 : Can this be recovered?
PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 6:42 

Hello.

At first the data could have been recovered, possibly it could do something from the Service Area or the same heads that are weak.

Unfortunately when you opened the disk, data recovery is no longer possible. And last but not least, I turned it on with the hard drive open.

Say goodbye to your data.

Note: I will never understand why users DIY their drives if they have data as important as they say ... :?

Greetings

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 7:27 

The situation is not that bad, many of us have recovered drives in much worse condition. BUT it is not DIY indeed. Removing the cover was not a smart idea to start with, running it without cover was even less smart.
The TTL serial adapter would have been a better idea to attach and find out more about the problem. Now it is pretty risky to power up the drive without checking the internals in a proper environment with proper knowledge.

@DeVIL:
Quote:
Note: I will never understand why users DIY their drives if they have data as important as they say

the OP said he cannot afford pro service, so it is kind of understandable, however, i met several clients thinking the same first, screwed up the drive pretty much, then suddenly decided they must afford pro service, so things can change fairly easily... Now that's a pity when it turns out too late :s

pepe

PostPosted: June 19th, 2021, 15:59 

pepe wrote:
The situation is not that bad, many of us have recovered drives in much worse condition. BUT it is not DIY indeed. Removing the cover was not a smart idea to start with, running it without cover was even less smart.
The TTL serial adapter would have been a better idea to attach and find out more about the problem. Now it is pretty risky to power up the drive without checking the internals in a proper environment with proper knowledge.

@DeVIL:
Quote:
Note: I will never understand why users DIY their drives if they have data as important as they say

the OP said he cannot afford pro service, so it is kind of understandable, however, i met several clients thinking the same first, screwed up the drive pretty much, then suddenly decided they must afford pro service, so things can change fairly easily... Now that's a pity when it turns out too late :s

pepe

Hello Pepe.

I know that it is possible to recover data on open drives. But the question is that if before you did not have money to pay for the recovery of a professional, now it will be much worse and more expensive. I am guided by what the OP says in this thread. If your data is very important to him, what did not occur to me at that time is to open the unit in a contaminated environment and even less to turn it on open.