All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for donor drive: Seagate ST1000LM024
PostPosted: June 30th, 2021, 12:11 

Good morning -

I am trying to help a friend get a Seagate ST1000LM024 laptop drive up and running again.

I am 100% confident the drive heads need to be replaced (severe head damage).

How can I find the right donor drive? Does it just need to match model number or does it also need to match first six of SN for this drive?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Looking for donor drive: Seagate ST1000LM024
PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 2:46 

If you really want to help your friend, point them in the direction of a professional. Swapping heads isn't easy and the results of doing it on the kitchen table are going to be very variable. Once you've opened the drive if it ever needs professional recovery the cost will be considerably higher just because it's been opened.

How are you 100% sure the heads are damaged and if they are what about the platter surface?

I suspect this won't end well but start here https://www.donordrives.com/blog/matching-guide for information about donors.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 3:28 

Quote:
I suspect this won't end well but start here https://www.donordrives.com/blog/matching-guide for information about donors.

looking at that link, i would say it is overly strict in some params while does not care about others that are important indeed.

Anyway, as Lardman said, refer your friend to a pro if you really want to help him. There are several members from the US from various states, so we can help in that if you narrow down your location.
replacing the head stack is the easiest part of the job, it is still beyond the limits of DIY.

pepe

PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 7:56 

Lardman wrote:
If you really want to help your friend, point them in the direction of a professional. Swapping heads isn't easy and the results of doing it on the kitchen table are going to be very variable. Once you've opened the drive if it ever needs professional recovery the cost will be considerably higher just because it's been opened.

How are you 100% sure the heads are damaged and if they are what about the platter surface?

I'd like to try this - my friend is over the data at this point but I am not over the challenge (everyone needs to learn someway). I have done several PCB replacements successfully, I know this isn't nearly as simple but it is the next step.

I removed the top and can confirm the head was stuck and facing down. I was able get the platters to spin again but know the head is damaged (platters visually look fine, not sure what the true condition is).

Drive will spin up but makes a clicking noise as I would imagine the head isn't moving to the platter now.

I found an almost exact match (thank you for the link!).

Now looking for a drive head comb...

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 4:25 

If you want to learn, do not power on your friends drive any more. No need to learn on that one.
After releasing heads from platters, next step would be to examine heads under a microscope. (not to power on the drive)
To match the donor drive you need to match drives preamp (do a search and learn)
When you get some donors, check end test them. Switch heads between donor drives a couple of times, check and test after each switch. All opening drive operations is of course done in clean room.
Then you are ready to change heads in you friends drive. Next step is how to image a drive after head change without expensive tools. (do a new search and learn “HDDSuperClone”)
You may already have caused data loss by powering on the drive.