All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ST950032 5ASG 0301 no SMART data
PostPosted: July 14th, 2021, 12:49 

Hi,

The patient is an ST950032 5ASG 0301 sata disk. On windows it gives a connection sound but could not finish the drive mapping because external HW error.

Checked with PC-3000 Disk Analyser. Model, Firmware and capacity info can be read but the SMART and the ID function is grayed, not accessible.

Verifying is returning:
ERROR! LBA : 4 739 072 Sectors 4 739 072(128) verifying error; Hardware Error : Internal Target Failure

This message is appearing for every sector

Checked the Windows logs:
The IO operation at logical block address 0x3f for Disk 4 (PDO name: \Device\0000007f) failed due to a hardware error.

The drive itself spins and seeking periodically see the attached audio. I had checked the head, it is not stucked in the middle. I cleaned the pcb connectors, no change in the symptoms.

What I found strange that I was not able to find information on the case when SMART data is not available, ie. the drive is not responding to SMART commands. What can cause this problem? Could it be a firmware? Is it worth to try a firmware update?

Any guidance is appreciated in advance!

Attachments:
File comment: Sorry about the base white noise but the head movement can be heard with speaker up.
Voice 002.zip [385.43 KiB]
Downloaded 465 times