All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD LLF can not detect properly the external USB device
PostPosted: August 31st, 2021, 18:15 

hi all,

I have a disk WD
another software detects it as : WDC WD20PURX-64P6ZY0 2000,3 GB which is fully correct, also can make SMART check sucessfully
on the other hand HDDLLF detects it as : ASMedia ASM1153 0 [2000,39 GB] (3907029168 512-byte sectors) which the vendor brand of the external enclosure and SMART is not working, it says SMART is not supported by this device.. also Low level format always throws formatting errors and finalize qucikly in a couple of seconds even it is not a quick format.

do you have any idea ?

Post subject: Re: HDD LLF can not detect properly the external USB device
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2021, 21:10 

I would try the drive natively connected with sata and see if you have issues there. If so, drive issue.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2021, 18:13 

I have same trouble yesterday. I have copied 2 TB data to WD Red 3 TB WD30PURX-64P6ZY0 DVR drive. Everything was normal. Customer called me 1 hour later. They said cannot see data. Brought to me enclosure and drive. Drive saw black on disk manager. I have searched something . I have just found that Sector Size seeing 4k not 512 bytes. Removed from enclosure , formatted it over sata port on my comp again . Putted some data in it. And tried with Asmedia enclosure. Drive shown black in disk manager.
After than formatted when in asmedia. Copied 2 TB data in it . And everything is normal now. Unless if remove disk from enclosure, and try with another kind connect type to comp.

Another strange thing, we tried a WD3200BEVT drive with Asmedia. There is no problem with enclosure. it works properly

ozkan134 wrote:
hi all,

I have a disk WD
another software detects it as : WDC WD20PURX-64P6ZY0 2000,3 GB which is fully correct, also can make SMART check sucessfully
on the other hand HDDLLF detects it as : ASMedia ASM1153 0 [2000,39 GB] (3907029168 512-byte sectors) which the vendor brand of the external enclosure and SMART is not working, it says SMART is not supported by this device.. also Low level format always throws formatting errors and finalize qucikly in a couple of seconds even it is not a quick format.

do you have any idea ?

PostPosted: November 4th, 2021, 2:42 

So not the drive and not the enclosure--except that the enclosure is doing some sort of translating that is different than natively connecting the drive to sata, so you can't go back and forth.