Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

WD My Passport Ultra - Head Swap

September 13th, 2021, 6:35

Hi there,

-I have an old Western Digital WD10JMVW-11AJGS0 mypassport drive from 2013, and it has recently stopped being recognized, and does the rhythmic beeping/clicking. After doing some research it sounds like this is usually caused by heads being stuck on the platters. i know a professional who can swap the head but he dont have the exact parts, so i had to looks for it myself
i was looking for that exact model for a while but i cant find one , and the ones i've found was very epensive (about 500$).
-my question is, are other models of these drives have interchangable parts ? if yes what drives are compatible for mine ?
also what drive informations i have to consider whene looking for a donor ?

Drive informations :
MDL: WD10JMVW-11AJGS0
S/N: WX31A93T1891
DCX: TA09J98G1
DCM: HHKTJHKB
WWN: 50014EE25E88BF1B
Product of Tailand

Thank you.

Re: WD My Passport Ultra - Head Swap

September 13th, 2021, 7:15

There is a degree of cross compatibility.

Start here https://www.donordrives.com/blog/matching-guide#wd then https://www.data-medics.com/forum/wd-data-recovery-f25.html?sid=a7eb66435ecbddcfd8a9d55f0418cdbf . Your professional should be able to give you advice. If it sticktion you may even get away without a head swap if they are lifted correctly and without damaging them.

October 5th, 2021, 19:20

TaklamakanX wrote:Hi there,

-I have an old Western Digital WD10JMVW-11AJGS0 mypassport drive from 2013, and it has recently stopped being recognized, and does the rhythmic beeping/clicking. After doing some research it sounds like this is usually caused by heads being stuck on the platters. i know a professional who can swap the head but he dont have the exact parts, so i had to looks for it myself
i was looking for that exact model for a while but i cant find one , and the ones i've found was very epensive (about 500$).
-my question is, are other models of these drives have interchangable parts ? if yes what drives are compatible for mine ?
also what drive informations i have to consider whene looking for a donor ?

Drive informations :
MDL: WD10JMVW-11AJGS0
S/N: WX31A93T1891
DCX: TA09J98G1
DCM: HHKTJHKB
WWN: 50014EE25E88BF1B
Product of Tailand

Thank you.

I am recovering this drive 400$ lol. nowadays I have 2 customer drive same model. And I am searching same drive.Manufacture date 2012 my guess

October 6th, 2021, 4:39

one needs to consider figures 4-5 of DCM but your pro should know that.
BTW, any FBlite/Firebird head can be used with some trimming...

pepe

October 15th, 2021, 13:53

pepe wrote:one needs to consider figures 4-5 of DCM but your pro should know that.
BTW, any FBlite/Firebird head can be used with some trimming...

pepe

Pepe Sir ,
What do you mean by trimming
Post a reply