Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

12 units SAS Hard Drives

September 23rd, 2021, 4:06

Good day,

It will be very much appreciated if any gurus here can recommend me an ideal way to connect 12 SAS hard drives to my computer for data recovery purpose.

This is my first time dealing with a recovery case that has more than 8 SAS hard drives, would like to get this opportunity to buy a good quality HBA card. I use PC3000 DE RAID edition.

Any suggestion/ link would be very much appreciated

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Darecom

Re: 12 units SAS Hard Drives

September 23rd, 2021, 7:18

As you need to clone/image each drive, why not use SATA drives for the copies?

September 23rd, 2021, 8:41

lcoughey wrote:As you need to clone/image each drive, why not use SATA drives for the copies?

Thanks for your reply, lcoughey, appreciate that :good:

I usually will identify problem one and make an image of it, and connect the image drive with the rest of the array members for data recovery.

I get quite a bit of RAID recovery with 4 - 5 HDDs, but would sometimes bump into some rare cases with 8 - 12 HDDs which I didn't quite equip with to get things done more efficiently, I don't like it. That's why I'm looking for a solution.

I've zero knowledge of HBA/ RAID cards and my intention in the near term is to get these 12 SAS HDDs connect to my PC so that I can do something about it with PC3000.

I've bumped into LSI HBA 9400-16i earlier, not sure whether this is what I'm looking for??

Thanks again, lcoughey!
Have a nice day ahead!

Best regards

September 23rd, 2021, 10:45

I have an ebay saved search for an Adaptec ASR 71605 to come up at the right price.

September 24th, 2021, 2:43

daRecoM wrote:I usually will identify problem one and make an image of it, and connect the image drive with the rest of the array members for data recovery.

Sorry man, this isn't the right approach working with RAID arrays.
You need to image all the members of the array and connect them together, instead of imaging just what seems like a bad drive.

So in your case, as Luke said, you'll need to image all 12 drives into SATA drives (or image them into .bin files) and then assemble the RAID.

Just my $.02

September 24th, 2021, 4:10

+1 image all drives.
Image the healthy looking drives first. If you have PC3000 DE with RAID, then reconstruct RAID from the images of the healthy drives. Then add the the failing drives and target imaging to data area or mission critical data in first pass. Will stress faulty drives less.

September 24th, 2021, 7:48

Thank you so much for your advice, northwind & digisupport!

I will be more than happy to work with either SATA image drives or image files rather than getting the 12 SAS HDDs to connect directly to the computer since I'm really not the expert in HBA/ RAID cards.

Thanks again, lcoughey, northwind & digisupport.

October 2nd, 2021, 9:48

daRecoM wrote:
I've bumped into LSI HBA 9400-16i earlier, not sure whether this is what I'm looking for??

Best regards

Not a bad choice, but this one much better

https://www.broadcom.com/products/stora ... -9400-8i8e

1) You can connect more than 1024 drives using expansions shelfs connected via external SFF ports
2) You can use it for U.2 NVME ssd drives just in case also
Post a reply