All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 8TB disks corrupted.1 fixed.1 with corrupt partition table
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 5:10 

I have a challenge restoring the partition on 1 8TB disk:

I have 2 disks with personal docs and working files. Single 8TB partitions are encrypted/formatted with DriveCrypt. A solution originating from the pre-bitlocker time.
Both are 8TB WD Red drives. With matching 8TB backup drives that I sync periodically and store at a different location.

Problem:
After connecting these 2 (source) disks and mounting them I was presented with corruption errors (disk structure corrupted and unreadable).
And, while I'm normally strict on backups, I had not recently backed-up 1 disk. Meaning I now face loosing recent additions and I'm very keen on restoring that work/files given the invested time. Of course that always happens in such cases....

-After connecting and mounting disk1, it gave "structure corrupted". Left it untouched. Dismounted disk1, connected and mounted disk2. Same issue. WTF!!!. Very, very weird. (and scary). Connecting the disks via an external usb3 bay or the internal SATA presents the same errors bytheway.

-I first contacted drivecrypt and they assume hardware/power issues. But both drives are faily new, (still) report no bad sectors and show perfect health in tools. And I don't recall any improper disconnects or power problems while last mounting these disks. Sure, for 1 disk that might have happened without me noticing the last time I had that disk connected. But 2 disks at the same time??!!? So no idea what happened (which I find also tricky not knowing a cause)

What I did/tried allready:
-I was still able to mount both disks properly in DriveCrypt

-Disk1 I was able to correct with checkdisk. It still had missing permissions after that, and somehow a hidden folder. I fixed that and after that all files were restored with original filenames. (and I have a up-to-date backup for Disk1 so that is covered)

-I hopefully expected the same approach with Disk2. So such luck. Checkdisk refused to run and reported NTFS, but "undetermined state". And Disk2 is not back-ed up up-to-date so Disk2 is the problem now.

-Using HDD Raw Copy Tool, I made a sector-by-sector clone of Disk2 disk to a new 8TB drive, and then another clone of the first clone to another new 8TB disk. This to minimize strain on the initial issue/source disk and to test/play with recovery.
After cloning, the clones could be properly mounted with Drivecrypt and showed the same behaviour.
I also tested the cloning on a different (250GB) working disk and the cloning provides properly mountable in DriveCrypt and proper accessible disk contents. So I'm confident this cloning gives me a clone that matches the initial problem disk.

-Both disks were set up with 1 single partition spanning the whole 8TB disk. Partition creation and formatting was done from within DriveCrypt at the time I recall.
So I did not first initialize the disk in Windows Disk Manager with GPT when initially starting to use disks (but setup was quite some time ago)

-Both disks, when working normally/properly, are shown in Windows Disk manager as 1 disk with a 2TB unallocated partition and 5TB unallocated partition. (Suggesting being split up by the MBT 2TB disk limit. Which I always found odd as the disks had 8TB/7.3TB useable capacity in 1 large partition in Windows Explorer)

-Both Disk1, as well as the remaining issue Disk2 now are still listed with this config in WDM (2TB/5TB, unallocated). So nothing different then normally

-I ran several partition/file recovery tools (EaseUS, Drill Disk, DMDE, Active Partition Recovery, Disk Genius, Mini Tool Power Data Recovery, Magic Partition Recovery).
With quickscans, none of those did directly provide a "quick fix/recovery" on partition level such a finding an undeleted partition that I could recover.

-Spread over those tools, they did find multiple filetypes that were offered for recovery (.pst, .ppt, .NEF, .mp3, .mp4, .jpg, .mpg). At first glance, some I could recognize some as being correct in size. For instance, in the past I compressed created holiday movies to 4.3GB .mpg files in order to fit on a DVD back then for storage. One of the recovery tools listed 6 of those files. But not as .mpg but as swf files. Also some .pst, .ppt, .NEF and .mp3 files were found by other tools. All of which with randomized filenames.

-As disk2 contains a large amount of folders and different files, ending up with a recovered container with randomized files will be a big mess to sort out. So not an ideal solution. Also, I feel very few files were found. But I don't know what to be expect in duration. Perhaps 6 files in 20min of scanning for the tools that did find files for recovery.
I did not let these tools finish yet as that seemed to take days for a full scan and I was looking for an idea that recovery would be possible. Gut feeling says only partially and with incorrect filenames .... In other words, a mess...

-I have no problem paying for any of these tools if that enables proper recovery. But I'm not seeing that yet at this moment.

-I have another 8TB WD RED drive which had the exact same partition config. I made a backup of that partition table with Gdisk and restored that one to the issue disk. That resulted in 1 unallocated partioning that asked for formatting. Making the issue worse I think. Re-cloned that one to start over.

-I had testdisk analyse the disk. Tried with None, Intel/PC and with GPT. Testdisk also reported a mismatch between CRC and LBA (?) when choosing Intel/PC.
After 10hours testdisk tool only had 3% analyzed when selecting EFI/GPT and starting Quick Search. I stopped that step to first see if other ways are more efficient.

-In Gdisk I choose to load the backup partition table and save that to the primary table (recovery menu, then c and b).
Loading worked, but then when writing the primary table, it reported that partition entries 125-128 are all too big for the disk, and that 126-128 are all overlapping entry 125. I should delete those entries -> but how???

After the above from the last 2 weeks I'm thinking in the following direction:

-I've never really looked into partition types prior to the last weeks, or dove into the technical background and differences in mbt/gpt.
So I feel I'm now jumping into all directions based on posts and tips on various forums/blogs (eg this one: https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41040). But none exactly matches my case so I'm just trying to find relations/matching characteristics and solutions that matches my case. In fairness: Normally I consider myself tech savvy, but to be honest in this case I don't know what I'm doing;-) But good to be learning again...;-)

-I'm not shy of doing the technical stuff like working with a hex editor if that would work. However, meddling with partition tables and certainly via a Hex editor is unknown territory for me.
And each time that I screw up a disk with trial and error, it will take another 2 days to re-clone the disk that I can work on for recovery. So I'd like as few screw ups as possible;-)

-Restoring the backup GPT to primary GPT feels promising. But I have no idea how I can delete individual partition entries or adjust it's size. I've saved the partition tables to files (.ptf. .dat .txt) and I think these should be editable, but without knowing what to edit that's doomed to fail.

-In the expectation that the drive contents is still there (as various tools do show files with proper filesizes), would it indeed be possible to copy/clone the partiton table from another (same sized) disk? I did do that as a test and I was presented a success message. But after that, Windows showed just 1 unallocated partion in WDM (with the SRC disk also previously showing 2tB/5TB config in WDM). And DriveCrypt no longer accepted mounting the drive (password was not accepted).
So either I'm doing something wrong with the table restore, or this approach is not possible.

-I am Windows guy, no experience with Linux. I'm willing to setup a Linux VM if that would be really the only way to run certain tools/actions. But preferably not.

-I've attached 3 screens from DMDE: 2 from the info after selecting the physical disk. The 3rd is from the info when choosing logical disk. This shows a weird/corrupt volume name for the issue Disk2.

Hope someone can make sense of the above and help me in the right direction. And please let me know if screens/logs are need to gain more insights in my problem. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
File comment: Testdisk. Selected Intel partition type.
First result from analysis

SRC1_Testdisk_mounted on M_Intel selected.jpg
SRC1_Testdisk_mounted on M_Intel selected.jpg [ 83.56 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]
File comment: Testdisk. Selected EFI/GPT type.
First result from analysis

SRC1_Testdisk_mounted on M_EFI GPT selected.jpg
SRC1_Testdisk_mounted on M_EFI GPT selected.jpg [ 48.01 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]
File comment: Gdisk. Result after trying to restore the backup GPT to primary GPT
SRC1_GDisk overlapping partitions.jpg
SRC1_GDisk overlapping partitions.jpg [ 194.07 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]
DC_SRC1_unable determine state.jpg
DC_SRC1_unable determine state.jpg [ 29.14 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]
DMDE_disk corrupt_volume name.jpg
DMDE_disk corrupt_volume name.jpg [ 74.24 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]
DMDE_physical device_2-partition.jpg
DMDE_physical device_2-partition.jpg [ 357.67 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]
DMDE_physical device_1-disk.jpg
DMDE_physical device_1-disk.jpg [ 480.02 KiB | Viewed 11093 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2 8TB disks corrupted.1 fixed.1 with corrupt partition t
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 14:15 

So the TL;DR of this.

2 Drives both encrypted with drivecrypt have logical corruption.
Drive 1 you ran chkdsk on and repaired. - So we can forget about it.
Drive 2 you cloned as chkdsk would run.
You've run lots of spamware grade tools and got nowhere but even DMDE doesn't appear to understand the drive structure.

If the data has value take it to a pro, logical recovery is on the cheaper side of the scale and it's far easier to deal with the hassle from encryption in person.
If you want to experiment with your clone (qudos on making 2) Try pointing something like r-studio, ufs explorer and getdataback at the drive. Blindly applying fixes without establishing the actual problem rarely works.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 15:45 

There would normally be a partition table in LBA 0. Yours is empty. There is a unique signature at 0x1B8, and an 0x55AA signature at the end. Does your working drive look similar in this respect?

This an excellent resource for partition tables and boot sectors:

https://thestarman.pcministry.com/index.html

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 15:17 

Thanks both for you first thoughts.

@Lardman: sorry indeed for the long post. Looking at common question I saw in replies on similar situation I thought I'd pro-actively try to cover most in advance;-)
And yes: Disk1 is out of scope. Focus is on recovering Disk2. I'll have a look at the other tools you mention. The tools I tried do find files, but too few and unstructured for file-by-file recovery.

@fzabkar:
I've made screens from the DMDE views of the working 8TB that has the exact same config. I'll have a look at the url you suggest.

Attachments:
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_3-mode partitiontable.jpg
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_3-mode partitiontable.jpg [ 106.42 KiB | Viewed 10948 times ]
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_3-mode ntfs boot record.jpg
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_3-mode ntfs boot record.jpg [ 118.14 KiB | Viewed 10948 times ]
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_2_partition.jpg
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_2_partition.jpg [ 486.47 KiB | Viewed 10948 times ]
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_1_disk.jpg
WorkingDisk_DMDE_physicaldisk_1_disk.jpg [ 480.59 KiB | Viewed 10948 times ]

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 15:59 

Both drives have empty partition tables, so this appears to be normal. LBAs 1 and 2 normally contain GPT metadata, or are zero filled in MBR configurations. Is LBA 3 zero filled, or does it also have data?

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 16:10 

pizzatosti wrote:
I'll have a look at the other tools you mention. The tools I tried do find files, but too few and unstructured for file-by-file recovery.
Humour me - Do a full scan of the logical drive in rstudio at let it finish, leave it running overnight if you don't enjoy watching a green bar move slowly across the screen :lol: lets see what it find in terms of raw carve and logical structure. Obviously you'll need to scan the mounted drivecrypt volume rather than the physical disk.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 16:55 

pizzatosti wrote:
-I have another 8TB WD RED drive which had the exact same partition config. I made a backup of that partition table with Gdisk and restored that one to the issue disk. That resulted in 1 unallocated partioning that asked for formatting. Making the issue worse I think. Re-cloned that one to start over.

That would suggest that the signature in LBA 0 is involved in encryption, assuming that Gdisk created the same empty partition table with a new signature.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 17:20 

pizzatosti wrote:
-In Gdisk I choose to load the backup partition table and save that to the primary table (recovery menu, then c and b).
Loading worked, but then when writing the primary table, it reported that partition entries 125-128 are all too big for the disk, and that 126-128 are all overlapping entry 125. I should delete those entries -> but how???

Gdisk probably tried to interpret encrypted GPT partition metadata at the end of the drive.

pizzatosti wrote:
Single 8TB partitions are encrypted/formatted with DriveCrypt.

Both are 8TB WD Red drives. With matching 8TB backup drives that I sync periodically and store at a different location.

Are these backup drives clones, or do you simply copy the desired files from source to destination?

Just to be clear, are you running your data recovery software against the drives after mounting them in DriveCrypt? It would make no sense to run these tools against an encrypted physical drive.

Edit: I see that you have selected an 8TB logical disc in DMDE, so that would be the decrypted volume. LBA 0 of the logical volume should be an NTFS boot sector.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 3:19 

fzabkar wrote:
Are these backup drives clones, or do you simply copy the desired files from source to destination?
AFAICS they are 2 separate entities with file copy, 2 drives in rotation rather than 2 true clones. If I understand the reasoning behind your question.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 3:49 

To cover the questions:

-I'll check LBA3 later today and will post a screenshot.

-The backups are normally done on mounted/de-crypted disks. Then a mirror sync from the SRC to the DST disk to add/delete on a file/folder level. So no sector-by-sector cloning.

-For this recovery process I used HDD raw copy tool for the cloning, done on unmounted disks. Resulting in 1 SRC (initial issue Disk2) and then Clone1 and Clone2. Working on Clone2. Both Clones can be properly mounted btw and give the same errors.

-Recovery software/DMDE etc are all used on mounted (read: de-crypted) disks

-Currently running a Clone1->Clone2 process. Will take anopther day or so. After that I'll run rstudio on the logical disk as suggested

-I also had DriveCrypt encrypt a brand new 8TB disk (so pre windows disk manager initialization). Then made a backup of the partition table of that disk in DiskGenius for comparison. To check what a "clean" setup would result in (and perhaps for restoration to the issuedisk). Then started the Clone1->Clone2 process which is now running again.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 4:03 

To add:
-Also, the new disk creation I did this week was done with DriveCrypt 6. I noticed that this resulted in 1 large unallocated partition in win disk manager. Disk2, the issue disk, was created/set-up with DriveCrypt 5 and those were shown in windows disk manager as 2 partitions (1 2TB, and 1 5TB).
-I'll check with DriveCrypt support what the "impact" of having the partition created by DriveCrypt might do and if the difference in versions changed something in the way it handles the setup of partitions.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 6:28 

Running R-Studio in demo mode bytheway. In detail search. I did uncheck filetypes/formats of which I'm certain they aren't present and only checked for NTFS as the other types aren't applicable. Uncheck these with the expectation to speed up the scan.

What I do notice is that it only "sees" a 2TB partition and RStudio is scanning that one. No mention of the other 5TB. (the disk was setup with 1 single (8/7,3TB partition).

It's now at 20% after 35minutes. Found 25 "Specific File Documents". Given it covered 430GB allready, that does not sound very promising. But then again, I don't know what to expect from this tool's result.

I will post an update when done.

Attachments:
RStudio_scanning_result.jpg
RStudio_scanning_result.jpg [ 267.25 KiB | Viewed 10727 times ]
RStudio_scanning.jpg
RStudio_scanning.jpg [ 14.45 KiB | Viewed 10727 times ]

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 6:46 

Quote:
The tools I tried do find files, but too few and unstructured for file-by-file recovery.

Did you actually recover and verify them? So that we know they're not false positives (which I suspect they are as the files you have been finding until now).

Lardman asked you to use R-Studio against a logical drive (drive G: we saw earlier in DMDE?). This is not what you're doing.

Quote:
You've run lots of spamware grade tools and got nowhere but even DMDE doesn't appear to understand the drive structure.

Because there does not seem to be one.

Does anyone know what the first sector of a healthy volume encrypted by DriveCrypt looks like (I understand it encrypts volumes, right? Not entire physical drives). Until we know it seems we're on a wild goose chase.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 7:11 

Quote:
Lardman asked you to use R-Studio against a logical drive (drive G: we saw earlier in DMDE?). This is not what you're doing.

BTW this only makes sense after DriveCrypt was 'loaded' and active. Scans on logical drives without DriveCrypt driver being active with file recovery software is just a waste of time. So for example, that logical drive on which chkdsk reports NTFS undetermined state or similar wording is a good candidate to scan using R-Studio or DMDE.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 7:41 

Arch Stanton wrote:
Did you actually recover and verify them? So that we know they're not false positives (which I suspect they are as the files you have been finding until now).

Valid point and good suggestion. The answer is "no" as that required payment. And while I don't mind, results varied too much. But as it indeed will confirm valid files or false positives. So I'll go for it and post results when done.

Quote:

Ok. I wasn't aware of this. I was under the assumption that the listed "empty space35" in R-studio was the only logical drive it found. Something with assumptions and **-ups.
Should I have selected the Disk listing then? So the "WDC WD80EFBX..."?
(ps: the Drive Letters vary as sometimes DriveCrypt mounts a volume under a different drive letter) and/or when having a disk connected via USB or SATA is varies.

Quote:
Does anyone know what the first sector of a healthy volume encrypted by DriveCrypt looks like (I understand it encrypts volumes, right? Not entire physical drives). Until we know it seems we're on a wild goose chase.

I'ved posted screenshots of the DMDE information for a working/healthy DC disk (read: succesfully mounted AND normal access behaviour reading/writing".
In my post from yesterday, 22:17hrs
Is that the info that you'd like to check? If not, I'll provide info/screens of what you'd like to see.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 7:51 

DMDE demo recovers 4000 files per run, per folder. So for example if RAW scan finds 10000 JPEGs, you can recover 4000 of those. $20 for a license that lifts any limitations.

Scan this: https://forum.hddguru.com/download/file ... &mode=view

So a logical volume is volume Windows has assigned a drive letter. DMDE's RAW scan is as good as any. So at some point stop scan and try recover say the JPEGs that were found in RAW scan results.

Last edited by Arch Stanton on September 26th, 2021, 7:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 7:56 

@Arch Stanton: Sorry, you comment made me rethink my last post. I re-checked. DriveCrypt has the de-crypted volume mounted as K: So I should have scanned that one.
K: however seems not available for scanning with R-studio.

I'll have another look late this evening to prevent posting incorrect info on R-studio and results.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 8:12 

pizzatosti wrote:
@Arch Stanton: Sorry, you comment made me rethink my last post. I re-checked. DriveCrypt has the de-crypted volume mounted as K: So I should have scanned that one.
K: however seems not available for scanning with R-studio.

I'll have another look late this evening to prevent posting incorrect info on R-studio and results.

I assume you can see drive letters that were actually assigned to the encrypted volume somewhere (in DriveCrypt GUI, I am not familiar with it). You'd expect any logical drive Windows assigned a drive letter can be selected and scanned at least.

If you go the other route, so select Ph disk > and then whatever area, a partition or unallocated space, you'll most likely be scanning encrypted data. Since 'known file types' are detected by tiny byte sequences that are not per se unique, you can assume they're false positives when scanning encrypted data. For example JPEG starts with FF D8 FF, so every time a RAW scanner sees that it will tell it found a JPEG (or put 'known filetype' in map), even if those FF D8 FF bytes have nothing to do with an actual JPEG file but are simply there by accident, by chance.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 8:17 

One more addition: After the above about scanning the logical disk, I started a "Full Scan" with DMDE on K:.
After 5minutes it was still at 0% of the disk but that scan allready listed over 250files matching the type of extensions.

Next, I wanted to recover a few files for verification as Arch Stanton pointed out.

To do this in DMDE, it appears I have to choose OpenVolume and then choose "All found/Virtual file system". I don't know if that option will only be available after a full scan has been done at least once?

I aborted the Full scan and choose "Open Volume". At that point I'm presented with the attached dialog. I choose cancel. But perhaps this error is perhaps another hint to what is going on? And should I select any 2 of these options and continue?

Attachments:
Logical disk_dialog when OpenVolume.jpg
Logical disk_dialog when OpenVolume.jpg [ 152.08 KiB | Viewed 10642 times ]

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 8:36 

These parameters should do, then under RAW > Graphics see if there's JPEGs there because these are well suited to see corruption etc..