All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate 5TB USB HDD Backup Plus- Detected but not showing up
PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 14:30 

Im using this 5TB seagate drive for about a year now, It suddenly gave up. Here are my observations:
1. Drive has a constant(not varying) humm vibration & sound
2. No abnormal clicking sounds
3. HDD led is lit solid
4. Shows as "Seagate BUP Portable SCSI Disk Drive" in device manager but no sign of the device in Disk Management.
5. Tried on different PC and Mac(different cables too) but same result. In mac the device is shown as "BUP Storage" in System Information under USB but again no sign of it in Disk Utility
6. Tried SeaTools from seagate but the software goes "Not responding" while scanning for USB devices. Launces fine when i unplug the HDD
Tried contacting seagate RMA, they insisted me to send the HDD for data rescue to Netherlands(1time free of cost). It would take upto 90days for them to send my data back. All i had to do was to bear the customs duty charges when the drive(probably a new/refurbished drive) is shipped from there to my place(India). I have about 4tb of data in it, how much customs would i have to bear incase i opt for it?

Post subject: Re: Seagate 5TB USB HDD Backup Plus- Detected but not showin
PostPosted: October 1st, 2021, 3:30 

drivingbeast wrote:

Sounds like stiction.

drivingbeast wrote:
Tried contacting seagate RMA, they insisted me to send the HDD for data rescue to Netherlands(1time free of cost). It would take upto 90days for them to send my data back. All i had to do was to bear the customs duty charges when the drive(probably a new/refurbished drive) is shipped from there to my place(India). I have about 4tb of data in it, how much customs would i have to bear incase i opt for it?

If you have a data recovery for free plan, then what's to discuss? Send it to Seagate.

Regarding customs, it depends on your country's policy. I believe it should be less than the cost of a new drive. Seagate will have to accompany the new/refurb drive with a shipping invoice that states the actual drives' price (even if you don't pay for it), so you will be taxed according to that. So if a new 5TB drive costs $150 (example), I think you should pay a customs fee of about $100 or so.
I recently paid $170 customs fee for a damaged SSD drive that was sent in for recovery from US, declared with a $10 value. They're really crazy.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2021, 4:03 

northwind wrote:
drivingbeast wrote:

Sounds like stiction.

drivingbeast wrote:

If you have a data recovery for free plan, then what's to discuss? Send it to Seagate.

Regarding customs, it depends on your country's policy. I believe it should be less than the cost of a new drive. Seagate will have to accompany the new/refurb drive with a shipping invoice that states the actual drives' price (even if you don't pay for it), so you will be taxed according to that. So if a new 5TB drive costs $150 (example), I think you should pay a customs fee of about $100 or so.
I recently paid $170 customs fee for a damaged SSD drive that was sent in for recovery from US, declared with a $10 value. They're really crazy.

What!? You paid 170$ duty for a value of 10$ item? Thats 1700% customs. What country does that?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2021, 5:19 

drivingbeast wrote:
What!? You paid 170$ duty for a value of 10$ item? Thats 1700% customs. What country does that?

Their original excuse was that they "don't buy that the drive costs $10" and that was declared with a lower price on purpose to avoid customs.
I called them and explained that this is a BROKEN drive, and it doesn't work and I tried to talk some sense out of them, but no go.
Dealing with customs, well, It's a path you don't want to take.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2021, 5:21 

northwind wrote:
drivingbeast wrote:

Their original excuse was that they "don't buy that the drive costs $10" and that was declared with a lower price on purpose to avoid customs.
I called them and explained that this is a BROKEN drive, and it doesn't work and I tried to talk some sense out of them, but no go.

Which country is that might i ask?

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 2:35 

drivingbeast wrote:
northwind wrote:
drivingbeast wrote:

Which country is that might i ask?

See Northwinds profile :-)

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!