Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Internet provider box gave me a HDD, but it makes clicking n

October 8th, 2021, 19:38

Hello,

I got a weird 500gb HDD (no easy to find specs, it's sold by SAGEMCOM to the internet provider who sent it to me as an external HDD for the TV I suppose), and when I used it on my computer (most likely writing on it), it soon started clicking after I formatted it to Ext4 and copied files, **while I had never used the HDD before** and i had it for 1 year in its box.
It's encased in a black plastic case that can't even be unscrewed (I don't see any screw, it's all dark plastic and only has ONE port of mini USB, not micro). There is a QR code and some numbers written on a label though
If you think it really matters, I can take a picture tomorrow, but it just looks like a plastic square with a port.

I switched back to Fat32 and NTFS and it doesn't click anymore (just one small click once in a while compared to constant clicking). But I feel like it will click again and it's not related at all.

It doesn't support S.M.A.R.T., it's probably a cheap HDD.

Is it risky to use ? is it dead ?

Re: Internet provider box gave me a HDD, but it makes clicki

October 9th, 2021, 16:30

damn i can't edit the cropped title
Post a reply