All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xbox 360 HDD failure - opinions/observations?
PostPosted: October 13th, 2021, 0:43 

G'day gents.

Before you groan and say "oh not another one of these again", please allow me to summarize as much as I can the situation thus far.

I'm fully aware of the immense complexity of modern drives and that under normal circumstances, there is little that can be done in the way of hardware failure. The drive in question here is a 20GB Hitachi Travelstar from an Xbox 360 that, of course, contains cherished game saves. It was transferred over to a 360 Slim in 2019 and was still working perfectly. After that, I stopped playing as work got in the way so the console just sat there for 2 years until now. When I recently booted it up and no profiles were found, I went near it and heard irregular but unmistakable failed-drive ticking. Powered off immediately. Removed drive. When shaken lightly, it sounds like something is loose in there. So definitely some sort of hardware failure from just...old age?

Professional recovery pulls files off failed drives in a very low level manner and you typically lose all metadata and folder structure. For any PC drive this is still acceptable, but for the Xbox's FATX filesystem this renders the entire recovery moot as none of the recovered data would be usable. It needs to be 100% intact. I contacted all the professional recovery outfits in my region, and none are confident of a recovery for this filesystem and this scenario.

So that leaves me with the last-ditch hail Marys. I placed it in a ziploc, connected to a SATA-USB cable, sealed it and stuck it in a freezer at -18c (-0.4f) for 48 hours. Used a laptop with FATXplorer to try and access the drive. Not detected in Windows. Which leaves actual mechanical intervention, which is what I'm seeking comments for here.

Obviously, open-air is a non starter. So I'd have to build a clean air enclosure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPEa0Wc9iUc. I've also bought a near-identical drive (HTS541020G9SA00) with the same date code and firmware revision. This will be Xbox formatted first to have the allocation tables and whatnot in place. While I've obviously zero experience or business opening hard drives (although I did open a dead drive many years ago just for fun), I'd consider myself pretty handy with delicate devices, replacing iPhone motherboards and stuff like that in the past. So, due caution to be taken. But apart from that I have no idea what to expect to be causing the rattling/failure.

Reasons why this might(?) go well:
- It's a very old and hence more primitive drive
- Single platter, single head
- Has never suffered any shock or abuse
- Identical working replacement available
- Clean air environment

Reasons why not:
- It was previously frozen
- Probably the universe stacked against me on this

Can anyone with experience suggest what might be causing the rattling or failure? The drive has never sustained any damage in its working life and it's only detriment seems to be that it's...just old. Logic board swap doesn't seem logical as the problem is coming from inside the drive casing. Motor swap? Head swap? Some kind of retaining clip? Platter swap would be the absolute last resort.

Candid thoughts and comments most welcome. :?

Post subject: Re: Xbox 360 HDD failure - opinions/observations?
PostPosted: October 16th, 2021, 6:38 

This has to be a troll right ?

These drives tend to have a slight natural rattle - but why are you shaking a potentially damaged drive anyway? You've tortured the poor thing which the rubbish you found on youtube who know what state it's in now.

< Insert usual recommendation about taking important data to a DR pro. >

If you want to try a kitchen table head swap it's your choice, but Id practice on a few junk drives first - it really isn't as easy as you think. Your time/money would have been better spent on donor drives, a head comb and can of compressed air.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2021, 10:40 

nicky9499 wrote:
When shaken lightly, it sounds like something is loose in there. So definitely some sort of hardware failure from just...old age?

That could be normal, actually.
Take a look on this picture
on the left bottom corner you can see thin and long metal thingy, that thingy moving is what you hear.

nicky9499 wrote:
Professional recovery pulls files off failed drives in a very low level manner and you typically lose all metadata and folder structure.

typically lose?
Interesting choice of words, and it's not true, of course.

nicky9499 wrote:
Which leaves actual mechanical intervention, which is what I'm seeking comments for here.

go for it, why do you need anybody's suggestion?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2021, 13:12 

AIUI, internal drives from an Xbox 360 are encrypted, and this encryption is linked to the model number, serial number and capacity. This means that any clone of this drive must be modified accordingly. That's what HDDHackr does.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2021, 3:40 

After freezing it, to me it looks like it just waved goodbye to you.
I think it's a dead case, but anyhow, what Frank said is correct, you'd need a 100% image of the drive and then use some tool to modify its details to trick the Xbox to think it's the original drive.
But that's the least of your problems IMHO.