All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toshiba P300 Drive overvolted. PCB replaced/w rom no spin
PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 19:43 

I made the foolish mistake of grabbing a SATA connector from my old PSU instead of the new one when installing my new 1300w PSU and lost 3 drives(1SSD and 2 HDD) to over voltage. I have successfully repaired the SSD and one of the HDD by replacing the PCB and ROMchip. But of course, the hard drive with all the music and code I've written over the last year doesn't seem to be a PCB issue as far as I can tell.

I've replaced the PCB with 2 different versions one which I realized was not the same chipset even though it had the same board number. The second one, I bought a complete HDD with Revision # ARA AA33/CF0(on the right). My revision # is ARA AA32/CF0 (left)but as you can see in the image they match in exact the model and what ever the series is below it that starts with HDKP which i assume is the chipset. This was the closest thing I could find to the original without paying 300+ for the drive. (it was 100$) Do you think it could still just be a matter of the firmware being off since its the next revision? It doesn't spin up/show up in bios ect.

Do you think it could be the pre-amp on the heads or is it most likely the spindle motor got burned out? I'm hoping I don't have to do a plate swap. I'd be willing to do it and have a laminar flow hood I can easily set up in an old grow tent in my basement.

Attachment:
File comment: Toshiba drive and replacement
PXL_20211028_233453918.jpg
PXL_20211028_233453918.jpg [ 4.71 MiB | Viewed 13754 times ]

Post subject: Re: Toshiba P300 Drive overvolted. PCB replaced/w rom no spi
PostPosted: October 28th, 2021, 22:37 

I want to say also that I have recently read Toshiba is a lot more picky with board matching and since I have not gotten one thats Identical, PCB might still be the issue. I am reluctant to drop 300 bucks on the matching 3tb drive that is available online.

I am wondering though; Wouldn't the drive at least spin up if I put the working from the nearly same model even if it didn't show up in windows/bios?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 1:17 

Can you show us the PCBs?

An overvoltage on the +5V supply often kills the preamp. I can show you how to test the preamp for shorts if you have a multimeter.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 10:06 

I ended up finding a very close match to the one I have it even has the same Revision number aA32/CF0 but alas a different chipset number.. Still nothing spinning up. At this point its probably the preamp or the main motor I assume. Even if I had managed to fry the rom chip it would at least spin up correct?

Here is a picture of the PCB that I fried.

Attachment:
PXL_20211106_140216547.jpg
PXL_20211106_140216547.jpg [ 5.38 MiB | Viewed 13313 times ]

As you can see the tvs diodes did nothing they aren't even blow but one of the main IC is fried and I assume that means the over voltage may have gotten further in the circuit to the internals... I know its weird but I put my nose up to the leads for the internal connection and I can smell smoke but it may just be proximity to the explosion that occurred on the pcb lol.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 10:56 

DataNerd wrote:
Still nothing spinning up. At this point its probably the preamp or the main motor I assume. Even if I had managed to fry the rom chip it would at least spin up correct?
It's unlikely you cooked the rom. The state that MC is in though - not good. Check the resistance on the the motor windings but I I think you're probably right about the preamp.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 11:07 

I know XD... it looks bad. And that's what feeds voltage into the preamp so I am pretty sure that's the next move. Luckily I was able to get an exact match model version wise for less than 100 USD which was a very lucky find on Facebook Marketplace. The only other sources want 200+ for them. Ooof. My next move then is to buy a laminar flow hood and build a box for a prefilter my inline fan then I'll likely cut the bottom our of a storage container to work inside. I can't really afford an 800 dollar repair bill right now. Worst case I lost a years worth of music and 2 weeks of code I was writing. Everything was backed up in December of last year.

I would like to test the preamp with multi-meter before committing to this build out though but I'm having trouble finding instructions for how to do this.
Also is there a safe way to test the spindle motor relay? I have a voltage injector that can go up to 4.5v not sure that would be sufficient for anything.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 12:32 

wondering where the board protection devices were supposed to get into action...
I would not touch the HDA before i can get it spin. Checking the preamp from the outside is a must, but do not open it before a preamp failure is confirmed.
These drives do spin up without sensing the preamp, so there is something wrong with the board/ROM if it does not spin it up.

pepe

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 12:46 

pepe wrote:
These drives do spin up without sensing the preamp
Useful to know - thanks pepe. I have a few p300's with head damage here I was going to take the hsa out to test, but my bench PSU has had an "accident" :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 13:34 

I suspect that the preamp is shorted. That would make the PCB look bad.

I would measure the resistance between ground and the two pairs of pins at the end of the HDA connector nearest the DU and HU inductors. Use the replacement PCB for this test.

Locate test points A and B on the other side of the PCB and measure their resistances to ground, eg a screw hole. Do this with the PCB on and off the drive. You can compare your readings against the working donor HDD.

Attachments:
preamp_test_points.jpg
preamp_test_points.jpg [ 235.56 KiB | Viewed 13249 times ]

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 13:59 

alternatively, isolate the preamp connector (let only the motor connector reach the HDA contacts) and try to apply power. Drive should spin up if PCB / rom is ok.
Also check what fzabkar wrote, mainly without pcb, on the preamp connector.
pepe

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 16:15 

pepe wrote:
wondering where the board protection devices were supposed to get into action...

This is one of those sh1tty designs where the fuse protects the TVS diode, not your data.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-14437584971410/91406083-8.gif

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 16:50 

fzabkar wrote:
This is one of those sh1tty designs where the fuse protects the TVS diode, not your data.
Has the OP checked the fuse ? It could just be schmaltz on the pcb but it doesn't look too healthy to me.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 18:41 

The fuse has a bump which means it's definitely blown. The 5V TVS diode is most likely shorted. The motor controller has spilled its guts on the 5V side.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2021, 19:33 

Quote:

indeed. Then preamp is likely toast as well. I thought only wd has such brilliant engineers, but apparently idiots make their way everywhere :)

pepe

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 16:16 

pepe wrote:
I would not touch the HDA before i can get it spin. Checking the preamp from the outside is a must, but do not open it before a preamp failure is confirmed.
These drives do spin up without sensing the preamp, so there is something wrong with the board/ROM if it does not spin it up.

pepe

So if replaced the pcb with a healthy one the spindle should still start up even if the preamp is shorted? Because I replaced it and I couldn't hear or feel any spinning. I hope that doens't mean I'd have to swap the disks...

I apologize for the delay been working a lot of overtime lately. I will test the preamp tonight.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 16:56 

DataNerd wrote:
So if replaced the pcb with a healthy one the spindle should still start up even if the preamp is shorted?
I haven't checked, but assuming pepe is right (he usually is :roll: ) then the drive should spin if the rom and motor winding are ok even if the preamp is cooked.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 17:29 

If the preamp is shorted, then the motor controller would be able to sense this and report it to the MCU.

How does the drive behave if the HDA contacts are isolated with a business card?

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 17:48 

Quote:
let only the motor connector reach the HDA contacts

=
isolate preamp contacts

pepe

PostPosted: November 19th, 2021, 13:34 

fzabkar wrote:
I suspect that the preamp is shorted. That would make the PCB look bad.

I would measure the resistance between ground and the two pairs of pins at the end of the HDA connector nearest the DU and HU inductors. Use the replacement PCB for this test.

Locate test points A and B on the other side of the PCB and measure their resistances to ground, eg a screw hole. Do this with the PCB on and off the drive. You can compare your readings against the working donor HDD.

So for what I think is A and B test I got the same resistance for both drives. .4ohm for A1 A2 10Kohm and 10.3 Kohm for B1/2.... If that's the same does that imply the spindle is the culprit?

Also the positions of the test nodes were slightly different than the picture. I tested. I assume these are the corresponding locations.
Attachment:
PXL_20211106_140216547.jpg
PXL_20211106_140216547.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 11446 times ]

PostPosted: November 19th, 2021, 14:35 

With the PCB off the drive, do you measure the same resistances? :-?

With the PCB off the drive, can you measure the voltages at A and B with respect to a screw hole?