All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whirring noise on new drives, ONLY at shutdown.
PostPosted: April 28th, 2022, 5:33 

I am writing here in this forum because I have not yet found a person who can help me.

I recently bought a new Hard Drive where I would sacrifice a little more than usual, and get the best. I bought 2 stk. WD red pro WD2002FFSX-2TB.
Shortly after they were taken into use, it occurred to me that they appear with a strange vibrating humming sound in approx. 3 seconds when they are turned off or they go to sleep.

I have talked to my dealer about it, and they have stated they should be submitted as an RMA case, as they must be defective. I then got 2 new ones, and in addition bought one WD Gold WD2005FBYZ – 2TB, a drive that should be of even better quality.

Both the 2 new Red Pro and the new Gold drive make the same sound when turned off, as the first 2 I had, I'm losing my mind.

Why? Because somewhere I am told they are defective, and after many many hours searching the web for the problem, I find a place (WD Forum) where in 2020 someone asks exactly the same thing, and is told "it is normal" when the drive parks the reading head. And I can see there are others besides me who have recently inquired into it, though without answer.

It is impossible to have the reading head parked that makes that sound. And I would really like to know what it is, that is causing that sound, is it dangerous for the continued operation of the drive, or what.?

Link: https://community.wd.com/t/whirring-noi ... own/252416

WD refers to sounds that are told about sounds when reading and writing, and clicks of death, but nowhere is the sound I ask about described.

Are there any here who can help?

Post subject: Re: Whirring noise on new drives, ONLY at shutdown.
PostPosted: July 15th, 2022, 9:10 

It would be very interesting to get a confirmation, about what exactly is the cause of the mentioned sound. Not an estimate of what it probably is, but a verified answer.

I can see, as the months have passed, that there are many who have read this, there must be some who have knowledge about it.

I and those who have otherwise written about it will be very happy for some info. ;o)

By the way, thanks to those who run this forum. There are an incredible number of good and informative posts.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2022, 4:36 

Does the drive only make that sound when you forcefully remove the power, or does it also do it when a 'spin down' command is issued?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2022, 4:19 

Thank you very much for the answer.

Regardless of whether I turn off the computer, and the drive thereby shuts down, or I have the drive on the table and pull the power plug, the sound appears for about 3 seconds when the drive spins down and reaches a certain stage in the revolutions.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2022, 2:33 

It amazes me that among all those who come here, there is not just one who has facts about this question. Assumptions and guesses are fine, but I miss concrete and validated info.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2022, 3:16 

Your problem is entirely subjective, if you feel your drive is making an odd noise but is not showing any signs of error then RMA it and get a replacement. Problem solved.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2022, 14:05 

Lardman wrote:
Your problem is entirely subjective, if you feel your drive is making an odd noise but is not showing any signs of error then RMA it and get a replacement. Problem solved.

Please,

Try reading my first post, that's exactly what I did, but without solving the problem. That's why I'm writing here.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2022, 14:58 

Mogens wrote:
Try reading my first post, that's exactly what I did, but without solving the problem.
Sigh - I was talking about the replacement. We have no clue as to what you consider a strange humming sound, it's subjective. If you're not happy RMA it, but if drive 3 drives are the same then I think you should probably accept that your strange sound is normal.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2022, 3:25 

Lardman wrote:
Mogens wrote:
Try reading my first post, that's exactly what I did, but without solving the problem.
Sigh - I was talking about the replacement. We have no clue as to what you consider a strange humming sound, it's subjective. If you're not happy RMA it, but if drive 3 drives are the same then I think you should probably accept that your strange sound is normal.

Thanks for reply.

And again, if you had read my first post and had looked at the link I refer to, there are sound files so you can hear the sound, and also see that there are others than me who would very much like to know what the cause is.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2022, 3:43 

When you send them to RMA, did WD replace them? Did they acknowledge the problem?

PostPosted: September 12th, 2022, 4:01 

Perhaps this is getting lost in translation, you're not going to get a detailed explanation of the acoustic properties of this drives HSA being parked.

The page you linked contains a response presumably given to you from WD support stating it's normal and the drive is not faulty - what more do you want?

You're not happy with the noise, either keep RMAing drives until you find one you are happy with or buy a different model / make.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2022, 10:29 

pclab wrote:
When you send them to RMA, did WD replace them? Did they acknowledge the problem?

Yes, they said the following:

”Our engineers have reviewed the audio bit you have sent us and do agree that the sound is most definitely not normal and should be replaced.

Since we determined that your device needs replacement please take some time to go over our replacement process, which is outlined below.”

It was the audio file from that link.

And it does not harmonize with the individuals who say the sound is normal. What is essential in the post linked to (And what I also want to know), is that the user want an explanation of what produces the sound, in order to better assess what is right and wrong. Those who made the drive must know what it is. Or someone here who has had it investigated.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2022, 17:28 

As I see it, the noise is just an acoustic artefact of regenerative braking. In a power loss situation, the spin motor becomes a generator and its kinetic energy is used to provide the power for an emergency retract of the voice coil to the landing zone. After the heads have been parked, braking energy is applied to the spin motor.

In normal operation, the motor controller pulses the windings of the spindle motor using PWM to generate a pseudosinusoidal drive waveform. This results in quiet operation. STMicroelectronics refers to this as "SMOOTH" motor control.