Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Need Advice on Failed Recovery by Ontrack

May 23rd, 2022, 0:32

Hi Everyone,

I sent a dropped portable WD HDD to Ontrack with the hopes that they can recover the data since after dropping the portable HDD, it still worked then died after a few days. But unfortunately, Ontrack was not able to repair my HDD. Here are the details they have sent to me.

>Drive has Internal Mechanical Failure and media corruption that is blocking us to access into sector level.
>It required a close matching spare part to bypass the media corruption (which has a slim chance of success).
>We are unable to get a close enough match after searching for weeks. As such, this case is unrecoverable.

My question is
1. Should I send it to other data recovery company? Any suggestions on other reliable Data Recovery Companies?
2. Can it be recovered if in the future if somehow someone developed a software that can access the media corruption without the need of matching spare parts (donor drives)? I am hoping that my platters are still intact since they didn't say anything about scratches or broken platters.

My HDD Details is listed below
Media Model Number: Western Digital My Passport 0748
Media Serial Number: WX51EB264199

Re: Need Advice on Failed Recovery by Ontrack

May 23rd, 2022, 14:21

What is the actual model number on the label of the HDD (not enclosure)?

May 24th, 2022, 1:52

Unfortunately, I threw away the labelled sticker inside the enclosure. :(

May 24th, 2022, 2:47

You threw away the label secured to the drive itself? you'd really have to work hard to do that, it's not something you can do by accident.

May 24th, 2022, 4:00

Then tell us PCB number.

I have a WX51EB.. in my Spyglass collection

May 24th, 2022, 10:18

I recovered several drives they claimed unrecoverable, but the question is not this simple, there are more factors to it.

answering your 2 questions:
1. i doubt the platters are intact, they usually get damaged in some extent during such an impact.
2. No software will ever cope with hardware failures of such degree,

pepe

May 25th, 2022, 23:45

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate it.

As for the PCB, i'll have to check and attach the picture later. :)

June 28th, 2022, 0:49

Hi Everyone,

Attaching Photos of PCB and external HDD
Sorry for the delay.

Thanks
Attachments
10D11641-AED6-48FB-9E6C-9BFD9550654F.jpeg
898B42AE-D7DA-4C94-BA07-CE29084F6DCD.jpeg
8B3BC61B-DF09-487D-8889-48EE0C5DC208.jpeg
D75DA920-BC08-47BD-BCAD-0B4D0CDE8E73.jpeg

June 28th, 2022, 0:54

I know that my somehow my HDD is probably unrecoverable since i dont have a donor drive that matches with my HDD but still hoping that in the future that someone will develop a hardware that doesnt need a donor drive to access data.

Is that possible?

Thank you

June 28th, 2022, 15:22

nope, but why do you want to do it yourself?

It might still be possible by experts right now.

pepe

June 29th, 2022, 14:35

We’ve recovered two drives just this week, that Ontrack had deemed unrecoverable.

June 29th, 2022, 17:04

Looks like a Firebird family, which could be a pain to get it working.
Donors have gotten difficult to find.
+1 pcimage (plus they have a donor stock of drives)
+ pepe
Either are great.

June 29th, 2022, 18:13

i have loads of these plus can recover rom if needed, plus can use any type of heads...
However, i do not like that naked cover, it actually sucks. Do you still have the label with you?

July 1st, 2022, 21:20

If that is the correct plastic shell, that model is usually a ShrekLT model WD20NMVW-11AV3S0 inside. At least that's what I've always documented finding in there on past cases I've handled. Much easier to find a donor for that than it is for a Firebird.

Recovery should still be possible unless there is severe platter damage. But, it's impossible to really know based on a report written by an Ontrack sales guy. It could very easily be just a case of someone being too lazy to investigate what the drive is given the missing label.

Get a second opinion from a reputable lab on here.

July 1st, 2022, 23:23

It's definitely a Shrek (4 platters / 8 heads)
I have received two cases (both are Shrek) which Ontrack claimed they're unrecoverable.
One has a ring on the upper side.
Both successfully recovered 65% and 95% respectively.
They always refuse such cases for unknown reasons.

July 1st, 2022, 23:26

Shreks are still popular. Find it hard to believe Ontrack does not have parts. Something weird is going on.

July 2nd, 2022, 21:39

They probably looked at the DIY attempt and said, nope.

July 18th, 2022, 1:09

Thanks for all your replies! I’ll probably send it to another recovery lab for 2nd opinion :)
Post a reply