All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guys...Please, I need your help! Segate external drive
PostPosted: June 18th, 2022, 18:26 

Hi everyone,

I need a professional opinion because I don't know what to do anymore. I have a 1TB external Seagate hard drive, model SRD00F1, and it simply doesn't work. When I plug it into my computer, the blue light turns on with the windows USB plug sound. But, the computer can't read or ever show up hard disk, like I don't plug it in. After a few seconds, it started blinking. I noticed that drive has few physical damages (on the picture) so I am not sure if it is the main problem? I am not sure what exactly happened with the hard drive because it is my dad's disk, but he said that it dropped during work. I am also putting yt video link so you can see what is happening directly inside. Actually, I am not sure if it is a software or hardware problem. What do you think? Please help me because I tried everything, and on that disk are some important data.

Big thanks in advance,

Daniel

YT link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IHxyDtnPG0

Attachments:
IMG_20220619_001846.jpg
IMG_20220619_001846.jpg [ 4.2 MiB | Viewed 3610 times ]

Post subject: Re: Guys...Please, I need your help! Segate external drive
PostPosted: June 19th, 2022, 4:06 

Why on earth did you open the drive - Please tell us you haven't powered it like that.

Heads have crashed and there physical platter damage. You'll need professional recovery service you need a new HSA and decontamination. Success will depend on level of platter damage and if it kills another HSA passing over it. You're also going to get hit with an open drive charge.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2022, 8:06 

"Help" will now cost you a four digit amount of USD/EUR.
Do you expect a magical spell that will heal the dammage caused by the falling drive?
Stating "I did everything" without disclosing what you exactly did is pretty unprofessional.

Why did you open the drive?

PostPosted: June 20th, 2022, 4:15 

Lardman wrote:
Please tell us you haven't powered it like that.

He did. See the youtube video he posted. Or don't -- it's painful.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2022, 18:28 

First of all, I want to thank you for your answers.

Now I see that I have made a big mistake. I really didn't know that the disc should never be opened, I opened it by watching various videos on youtube which was not a smart idea. I heard those “weird sounds” coming from the disc so I thought I could fix it myself. Obviously not, I just made things worse. I will definitely seek professional help to save the disc, I hope I didn’t destroy it completely with my stupidity. Anyway thanks for the answers, at least I know for the future.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2022, 7:19 

Those marks are not platter damage per se.. it's your fingerprints in the areas not cleaned off by the heads as they don't move that far to the spindle and outside edge. Of course heads going over fingerprint gunk will have gummed them up and probably caused at least light damage to the surface. The fact the heads are still able to try and track means it's probably not totally crashing yet.

A good DR engineer can probably still get most of the data with new heads and some tools. Running the drive without any head screw for stability (and not in a cleanroom) is of course likely to have caused even further damage. The original problem was probably firmware corruption from a degrading system area so that will also need to be repaired/bypassed.