Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

How to fix bad format

June 19th, 2022, 17:31

In a previous post, maybe a year ago, I tried to get info on changing a bad format on 2x 2GB drives. Somehow they ended up with something other than 512 byte sectors. It has something to do with trying to convert from a Linux operation to Windows. That was a bust. However, at the time I was able to see the drives on a Windows system but I don't remember how. I was using diskpart, windows disk management, file Explorer, minitool partition wizard and I don't know what else. I have finally worked up enough courage to try again. So far, I cannot see the disks either directly connected to my desktop or via USB or on a Linux boot. It did recognize once with Minitool, but disconnected. I used something that showed me what the bytes/sector was - one was 4096.
Can anyone point me to a program that will allow me to get these reformatted to 512?
Windows won't do it, even if it did recognize them. Tried previously.

Any points will be appreciated.
thanks
Post a reply