All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New user, needs help with recovery.
PostPosted: July 17th, 2022, 11:57 

Hello everyone. I have an issue with a couple of HDs which I know are good. They're both WD1001FALS 1TB. I had these setup in a 2 disk enclosure, and they were read in Windows as one 2TB drive. I do have data on them. Something happened to my enclosure and it stopped working, so I replaced it with a Sabrent USB3 Docking bay EC-HD2B. Now the disks are being seen as unallocated space. I have done a number of scans, and the data is still there, still safe. I haven't performed any action that would destroy it. Is there a way to recover this data, and possibly render the drives usable once more? I have ordered a new 1tb Solid State drive in order to transfer data between the three of them in case it's needed. I have extensively searched and gotten help from others, mainly in the area of Gentoo, as I have a dual boot system with Gentoo, I was hoping to find a way there to recover these partitions, but no luck. I do know for a fact the partition[s] are NTFS. As I type this, one of the disks is scanning in Testdisk. If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks

Todd

Post subject: Re: New user, needs help with recovery.
PostPosted: July 19th, 2022, 3:02 

Hey Todd

If you were seeing one 2TB drive, then this means your drives were set up as a RAID0 or a JBOD.
When you say you've done a number of scans and you're seeing data, do you see structure and data, and if yes, why don't you just save your data elsewhere and be done with it? Do you see only raw data (no folder or file structure)? And, do large files work?

In any case, I'm obliged to say the obvious here: If data is important, consult a professional (if drives are healthy then it should be very cheap to get them recovered safely), or at the very least, clone them first. It's not safe to play with the original drives, especially if it's a RAID0. If data is not so important, then, well, keep going.

The best way to deal with it is to rebuild your RAID using UFS Explorer. There is a chance UFS will pick up the configuration automagically so all you 'd have to do is save your data into your new SSD.