All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow HDD
PostPosted: September 8th, 2022, 7:44 

Hello everyone! That's maybe too much of a newby question for this forum, but I don't know who else to ask, so I'll give it a try...
I recently bought a 6GB Toshiba X300 HDD (7200 rpm 128MB buffer).
When the disk was empty Crystal Disk's benchmark showed a read/write speed of 240-250 MB/s.
I started filling up the HD and initially Windows was reporting a write speed of 220-230 MB/s. After a couple of hours, however, the speed dropped to 150 MB/s and there it remained until the complete transfer of about 4.5 TB. All files were between 500 MB and 2 GB.
After the transfer I launched the benchmark again and Crystal Disk confirmed the 150 MB/s read/write speed. I ran the benchmark several times after restarting the PC, changing the ports, I tried copying files from different sources, but I always got the same results. This Toshiba now runs at 150 MB/s, just like my old 5400 rpm WD Blue.
Do you think there's something wrong with this Toshiba? Windows says the disk is not fragmented, Crystal Disk Info finds it in perfect health, and I cannot hear any strange noise during use.
Thank you for your help!