All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 and HDDSuperClone
PostPosted: September 10th, 2022, 20:08 

Hi there,

I am trying to do a clone of a problematic Seagate ST1000LM035 drive using newest Live USB of the HDDSuperClone with a direct AHCI method.
I am aware of any risks involved in this procedure and I accept the risk :roll:.

First 29.5xGB were cloned without any problems.
The problem is, after that, the drive locks up and does not respond to soft and hard resets.
I have not seen the 'DF' active luckily, but it stucks in 'BSY' then.
Just gives timeouts in the HDDSuperClone terminal.

I found the reallocated sectors count keeps increasing, now reallocated sectors count is 5688, while started with about 1000.

After power reset, the drive lets the software to clone 1-3 areas and it locks up again.
At least, I tried to to reset the log and it looks like the missed areas are turning green in the HDDSCViewer yet.

I tried to adjust the soft reset time to 8000ms > 2000ms > 1500ms > 500ms and after that using phase timers.
I have had the 'Always wait for reset timers' active for the 2000-500ms timings, but I did not found any difference having it on or off.

I also let it do tens/dozens power off's and power on's using DIY power relay but the drive still locks up the same way, so I am wondering what I could I do in that case.

I thought about increasing the base skip size, the current one is 14800 (7.58MB) automatically increased.

Does anybody have an idea what to do?
This is puzzling me.

I have seen the following post (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/c ... &context=3)
Quote:
After no less than 250 power cycles and a whole day of watching it, ddrescue says it has gotten 99.99% cloned! At some point I added -E1000 to make ddrescue stop trying when it began running into read errors, and for the last pass (which was stopped and restarted almost every minute) I added -A -r3 which took the 30GB of bad sectors down to just 49KB! I’m a little concerned just how much it changed. I can’t check the image file for a few days until I can connect that computer to the internet again to install software.

I realized after making it that I did not zero-fill the partition I put the image file on. Should I try to use the fill mode to put 0s or something into the unrecoverable spaces? Even if it’s not necessary, do you know how? The documentation doesn’t explain it well or at all, and I have not read about anyone doing it online.

Looking at the SMART report from before and after, there are now 27000 reallocated sectors, as opposed to less than 50 when I started. I hope those were shuffled around after I salvaged data from them

I have uploaded the screenshots and the HDDSuperClone project here: https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZD0q4ZMtzJqAcydt8Akl2W44eCYSlIT8Xy

I restarted the HDDSuperClone, and made the screenshot of the new startup only while playing with the settings and stopping, so reads like rates, data preview, remaining time are not a reliable one, as I just stopped the software using the 'stop' button while it was trying to do reset at its own and it zeroed it.

I remember first 29.5xGB were having 100+MB/s read speeds.

For a couple problematic areas (while playing with settings) I caught the current rate was about 4000 KB/s, for the others I did not put attention into this, but as the locks up occur, I am not sure whether these reads are reliable in that weird case.

The skips were increased to the amount visible on the screenshot when I lowered the soft reset time or turned the phase timers. I am not sure when now.

I would happily redo the screenshots when needed.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Weird Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 and HDDSuperClone
PostPosted: September 11th, 2022, 2:49 

We'll take it as read that you know the drive is failing and you're thrashing it to death to get the data from it.

Without tools to stabilise the firmware you don't have a lot of options other than power resets. Id suggest you pair the virtual driver of hddsuperclone with something like dmde or r-studio and selectively target the files you are attempting to recover rather than trying to clone the entire drive.

If you continue with the entire clone, try recovering from random zones on the drive in case the damage is just localised and you're stuck in it. I uses try 0% - 25% - 50% - 100% both forward and reverse. Given the amount of data you've read it unlikely to be a dead head what does the analyses feature of hddsuperclone suggest.