All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 WD4001FYYG-0 Hard Drives with reversed serial numbers ??
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2022, 14:47 

I'm guessing I bought both of these drives at the same time from the same seller. Both drives are in failure mode of the strangest kind.

Drive #1 According to HD Sentinel this drive has zero health and zero performance and "Failure eminent, backup immediately. HD Sentinel is the only sw that flags this drive as bad. WD's own diags says there's nothing wrong with the drive and neither does any other program. Drive has never been a problem nor has it exhibited any unusual behavior. I've been trying to kill this drive for over a year by periodically doing full formats and filling it with data. It has not missed a beat.

Drive #2 Appeared to fail during a long copy operation as part of a Drivepool array. Strange thing is according to HD Sentinel this drive went from 100% health to 70% health then back to 100%. It did this 4 times.

On further investigation I discovered that the serial #'s as reported by the drives are reversed. Drive 1 has the serial # that's on the label of Drive 2 and vice versa.

Is it possible that the controller boards of these 2 drives were exchanged? If so could I swap them back and recover the drives?

TIA

Post subject: Re: 2 WD4001FYYG-0 Hard Drives with reversed serial numbers
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2022, 14:59 

You can use the demo version of WDMarvel to dump the firmware modules from ROM and SA.

https://wdmarvel.com/en/free-demo/

SA module 02 has the serial number. Sometimes the serial number is also present in ROM. If you upload your firmware dumps here, I can examine them for you.