All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using DDRescue
PostPosted: December 15th, 2022, 15:32 

Hello , I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate input/help from its members.
I am trying to recover data from a failing HD.
I was able to use DDrescue to create an image of the entire drive.
I was able to copy that image to a USB stick.
When I insert that USB stick into a computer running Windows10 I get message "Disk inaccessible"
Should I use a specific file format on the USB stick prior to copying the image to it.
Should I be able to see a file called Backup.img on the USB stick ?
Nevertheless I have tried accessing the USB stick with Disk Drill and I could see/recover some files.
Am I doing this right ? What are the tools/programs best suited to explore , recover the files from that image file ?

Thanks again, Chris

Post subject: Re: Using DDRescue
PostPosted: December 15th, 2022, 19:18 

DD can create an image file (which is a binary file that contains a 1:1 "image"of the failing HDD), or it can read from one medium and write to another (no image file) - a kind of clone.

So without knowing the command you used it can be either or.

Assuming you created an image - you can open the image file up with WinImage. If your image was clean (no bad sectors) and assuming the source was NTFS, FAT, exFAT, you should be able to browse the image via WinImage as if it was a disk - directories and all.

If the image isn't clean you can use DMDE to parse the image and rebuild the filesystem. There are many other tools like TestDisk (which is free) that can also do this.

There are other data recovery software tools, but the ones I've mentioned above are either free or cheap.

Post subject: Re: Using DDRescue
PostPosted: December 20th, 2022, 18:10 

In linux you can install a program from apt called kpartx that will map the partitions in the ddrescue image to loop devices, once you do that they should show up in the file explorer, were you can double click to mount.

I think the command is kpartx -av clone.img (for example) to map the partitions as loop devices. and I think kpartx -d unmaps.

I found this command when wrote a 'guided drive recovery" script in python awhile back to help simplify using ddrescue, and as part of it had an
option to mount the image when only recovery of files was needed.

If you have any trouble I can dig up that script and double check the commands.