All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 not spinning up
PostPosted: October 19th, 2022, 13:36 

Hi guys, i'm new here and i hope you can somehow help me. But let's start from the beginning.
As object says, i have this sata HDD (specs at the end of this post) installed into my old pc (tell me if you need its specs) and worked fine untill yesterday, when i decided to install it into my brand new pc (as before, tell me if you need specs) together my other 2 sata SSDs. The whole old pc and all the devices were working fine (no weird noises or whatever).

Connecting to new pc:
sata cables (you didnt say?! :lol: ) => ok
Power cables => ...
About power cable, i had used one i had here around (not one "original" that comes with the PSU) just to be faster&easier; it's a standard 6 pin connector (to PSU) and a 4x sata connectors in series (to devices). So i used that cable to power my HDD/SSDs.
Booting up and BIOS shows me only the SSDs but not the HDD. And here the problems are coming up.

1st troubleshooting:
1. tried to check bios settings => none, everything seems to be ok
2. tried to change power cable => nothing changed even using the PSU "original" cable
3. isolating the HDD connecting him with a dedicated power cable (PSU original) => nothing.
4. re-installing this HDD into the old pc => nothing. DEAD.
Result => The drive never spun up after swap.

Now, i have to say my ups is going to die and, obviously, a power loss occurred when my old pc with all the HDDs was running. The new pc was turned off. I didnt boot it again cause i had other things to do, so i left it powered off. When i came back, i decided to swap the HDDs so i never booted up the old pc after power loss. In short: i'm not sure when the HDD's PCB die: due the power loss or after swapped it (somehow the new pc blow it up, weird but could it be true? :shock: ).

2nd troubleshooting:
I have no experience in this sector, but i loosen the PCB screws of the HDD to see what's wrong with it (i watched various YT videos about how to identify and solve these issues), looking for visually damaged components. Nothing to report.
So i measured using a multimeter a couple of diodes (one beeps - circle n.2 -, the other not - circle n.1) and 6 resistors (some beeps - squares n. 1, 2, 3 -, others not - square n. 4). Please note that i'm NOT sure if squares n. 3 and 4 are resistors, so forgive me if i'm saying wrong. Also please see attached pic for details.

I don't have any suitable equipment to attempt to fix it, nor the skills. So i googled for a PCB but there are so many factors to consider and this confused me even more.
Not sure if i can add more now, so i'm now waiting for some tips.

Thanks in advance.

ciao

Attachments:
PCB.jpg
PCB.jpg [ 867.21 KiB | Viewed 3613 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 not spinning up
PostPosted: October 19th, 2022, 17:48 

The pinouts for those modular cables are not standardised. You appear to have overvolted the drive's 5V input. Do not use cables that were not supplied with your model PSU.

That said, diode #2 is shorted, and resistor #4 is open. The simplest solution, albeit a little risky, would be to snip the diode with flush cutters and flow a blob of solder over the resistor.

Alternatively, you can purchase a replacement PCB, including ROM transfer, for US$50 from hdd-parts.com.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2022, 18:17 

Thanks for the reply!
Who would ever thought that a "simple" 4x wires power cable would be different from another one :roll: I would never thought about cable pinouts.
I could try your solution, but before doing that, i'll make a call and see if that guy could help (he's more skilled than me and has the right equip, i guess). If he fails, i'll try your tip. If i fail, i'm gonna buy a PCB. The only problem is that i'm from Italy and hdd-parts.com is from the USA. I have nothing against the USA, i'm just worried about the shipment and, globally speaking, about all the "contract".

Another question: let's suppose i'll buy the PCB from hdd-parts, should i swap bios in any case? Albeit i buy the following that seems to be the same exact twin-sister PCB?
https://www.hdd-parts.com/14041382.html

Thanks!

PostPosted: October 20th, 2022, 1:27 

The whole point of buying from hdd-parts is that they will do the ROM swap for you at no extra charge. I don't know if anyone in the EU is offering a similar service.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2022, 5:54 

i share his worries, to some extent, coz if the rom is lost, data is lost pretty much.
So if the data is critical i would rather recommend contacting a pro in the area. Obviously somewhat more expensive but safer.

pepe

PostPosted: October 20th, 2022, 11:39 

I agree with you pepe.
If someone really wants to use this type of services by shipping pcb abroad then i recommend to use a large package. Small packages do get lost much easier.
The chance that pcb would get lost with the shipping would be the same as shipping the entire hard drive.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2022, 16:05 

Undertood guys. Thanks everyone. But i have news about my hdd.
I gave it to a friend (that same guy i announced in my prev post) and he was able to swap the broken components (diode and resistors) and the drive came alive again! YEEEEEE!! Ok stop. The things cant be always fine. In fact the drive makes a very strange noise: it sounds like a LAWNMOWER's engine! I'll upload the audio file so you can hear it too!

I already know how mechanically failing hdds' sound like, but this sound is stunning. What's going on, in your opinion? Sounds like a broken bearing :rip:

Link to audio file: https://mega.nz/file/RfQBFSwR#MUPX94ft2AG85zwrfmudfmKMGZ0hbY5TK1A0AdhmhJg

PostPosted: October 20th, 2022, 16:40 

!!! MESSAGE FOR THE MODERATOR !!!

Sorry, i forgot to say in my prev post that the device obviously cannot be read (not sure if the system can recognize it).

Could you add/merge it for me please?
Thanks ^_^

PostPosted: October 21st, 2022, 11:45 

can't hear much, could you do another recording from before applying power?

PostPosted: October 24th, 2022, 18:42 

I know Pepe, the volume is very low. I removed a noise at the beginning and boosted up the whole track by over 33db. Now it should be fine.

Here you are ==> https://mega.nz/file/MXJkXRTC#XtFH9WcnpbH-hVNYpj01F42nSgnY5yZoyq4N8Q35c_U

PostPosted: October 25th, 2022, 12:42 

Più che altro Pepe giustamente ti ha chiesto di registrare il suono che emette per intero dalla partenza, cioè dal momento in cui dai alimentazione al disco.

Pepe asked you to record the sound it makes from the start, from the moment you apply power to the drive.