Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Help with recovering data from Seagate external HDD

November 29th, 2022, 2:34

Hello guys, new to the forums here. I have a Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0. Recently my computer is not able to read the external HDD. I see the light turn on and i hear a disk that sounds like it keeps trying to run over and over. It sounds like it keeps skipping over and over. My computer has been unable to read the HDD. I need help retrieving data from the HDD as I have a lot of family pictures in it. Any help is appreciated

Re: Help with recovering data from Seagate external HDD

November 29th, 2022, 12:25

This drive is likely to be a Seagate 'Rosewood' family drive which are well known for being bad drives. The sound you are describing is likely to be the read-write heads passing over the platters trying the read the drive internal firmware, but due to damage are not able to. I would suggest turning off the drive asap and seek professional data recovery help if the data is important to you. Most pros will give you a free evaluation. Don't be tempted to look at/follow YouTube 'fixes', they will only do more damage to the drive.

November 30th, 2022, 4:07

ddrecovery wrote:This drive is likely to be a Seagate 'Rosewood' family drive which are well known for being bad drives. The sound you are describing is likely to be the read-write heads passing over the platters trying the read the drive internal firmware, but due to damage are not able to. I would suggest turning off the drive asap and seek professional data recovery help if the data is important to you. Most pros will give you a free evaluation. Don't be tempted to look at/follow YouTube 'fixes', they will only do more damage to the drive.

Exactly so.

November 30th, 2022, 17:11

ahhhh shoot. So i guess no program will help retrieve the files?
I would need to bring it to a shop to get it fixed

December 1st, 2022, 10:43

Arcadian1986 wrote:ahhhh shoot. So i guess no program will help retrieve the files?
I would need to bring it to a shop to get it fixed

That's correct. But not a computer shop, a professional data recovery lab.
Post a reply