All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NO BIOS chip WD drive recovery
PostPosted: December 1st, 2022, 14:11 

Quote:
The drive was then recognised by BIOS.

from what did you conclude that?

Quote:
Some sources said it was possible if some clean room was achieved and that's what i did and it is now done but the harddrive would not allow the PC to POST so i started worrying about the board.

it is very difficult to make out anything from that 1st post...

PostPosted: December 9th, 2022, 9:11 

Apologies for the delay,
Reasons for that were : a) been extremely busy with other hardware stuff (NVMe PCIe comparisons across boards and configs, Memory tunings and sweet spot searches, board swaps and all the research behind them) and i've left aside this problem here until i figure out the right way to go.

b)That happened due to the harsh approach to my problem i received here and i am all done with fighting negativity in my life. I'm too old for it..
I really don't see what there is to offer in comments like
northwind wrote:
Thanks Peter, but I'll pass.

Do i spent my valuable time, stealing it from other things, trying to show narcissists what empathy is all about?
Do i have to show them that noone cared to ask how damaging the fire was to one's life, as it arrived to two of my data backups?
not to even mention you were asked by someone who already had backups of backups on two separate and distant locations and still you treat him like a newbie
But i guess it's a joke to you, isn't it mr. northwind?

Use your words to offer something and use even less than those you used to offer nothing and you will not receive any backlash in the future.

I didn't want you to ask more, i wanted you to read!
and that's why the post was long, to give all the background of how i ended up asking stuff here and save you from asking for details!
See, that's empathy! Even when you're the one asking for help, yet still appreciating the time of others and trying to make it easy to those that can read!
(inability to read is called illiteracy, you might wanted to know that.)

My expectations of today's humans grasping and expressing empathy are just like the expectations of getting data out of this drive.
Low but there's still hope! You can't ever leave it alone without giving it a try! :roll:

I am too busy to deal with all those who only offer negativity!
I responded to it really (same day) and then decided to delete the whole thing and go about my day instead and didn't feel like returning until i didn't feel like responding that way any more.
But here it comes again as an intro, as it's a reflection and i want it out of me and back to those who caused it, so i can proceed to something more interesting like eg. the problem.

pepe wrote:
Quote:
The drive was then recognised by BIOS.

from what did you conclude that?

From the BIOS Pete!

Quote:
Some sources said it was possible if some clean room was achieved and that's what i did and it is now done but the harddrive would not allow the PC to POST so i started worrying about the board.

pepe wrote:

Sorry, English is not my main!
you can ask when you don't understand something, not try laughing with someone else's pain when it's you who didn't get it nor feel it.
Sorry for one missing comma!

Anyway... Dealing with very different tech stuff (due to a+b above), my mind relaxed a little off this one and remembered the following:
The donor HD was tried out on purchase and although it was recognized by the BIOS it would not appear as space to mount.
Which coincidentally is the same problem that is showing now. :idea:
Well, i didn't know of the websites that offer donor boards back then (mid 2021) and i got this one from ebay.
Contacted the seller about it back then and he, appearing to be some HD-pro, having many of those sold, said "it should be fine for surgeries if it appears fine in the BIOS".
I told him that is not necessarily so, but to get my money back i'd have to ship it back and they weren't that many (sale-wise) to begin with.

So in order to better approach this, i believe i need to order a decent (verified) board and try it with both heads (crossing all fingers) and i could have more chances that way
than even considering switching impossible chips from a questionable donour board to another questionable (faulty board)
fzabkar wrote:
@Cre3p, I've just reread your first post. If I understand correctly, you swapped the heads and PCB from a donor drive. The drive was then recognised by BIOS.

This means that the head adaptives in the ROM now match the heads. Also, the loader code in the SA must be a good enough match for the ROM code. This is good. Assuming there are no defects in the SA, then you should be good to go.

However, before you start cloning, you can read the firmware modules in the ROM and SA using the demo version of WDMarvel.

https://wdmarvel.com/en/demo/

Thank you sir!
:please:

HD is now stored till the new board arrives (when i relax from other things and care to order it)
and i will use that approach first!
Thank you for the advice!

To all those i mentioned at the beginning of this post
your negativity did bring a positive result..
it pushed me away and i re-thought about this and that is better than thoughtless actions of panic i could have set out for, less than 2 weeks ago.
So, thanks Pepe!
pepe wrote:
if you want your data back before you shred it for good.

And sincerely, thank you all! (no jokes here)
We're men.. (i willfully suppose)
We can tell each other our faults and then go about our day and get some jobs done before we meet at the bar and laugh about it :druunk:
No hard feelings i hope!

i got a new problematic drive today... one 2T i pulled out to just store some data in it because i am filled up as the 18TB Exos i am waiting for has delayed arrival for a full 10 days!
My 2TBs are all old drives (2010ish) but my data needs keep growing and i always fall in the trap of using them :-(
WDs are fine until they are not and when they go they all go together? wtf WD!

40-50.000 euros in damages is what those harddrives survived from. (heat didn't get to them tho)
That's the physical cost only, not including the personal cost of what that money represented

So.. don't mess with guys like that, Pete.
I hope we're done with the laughs because if we're not, i promise you won't be the last one laughing!
I also hope this level of English is now adequate for you to realize you might wanna pee on the next tree and not this one!
if my hope is not realized, i am afraid i will have to share links of what has happened in different places i met negativity when i was childish enough to care to fight it.
And then, there'll be regrets!
:croco:

PostPosted: December 9th, 2022, 9:39 

Can't get all the birds in one post without re-edditing it until i can't no more, so here's a better response for this one:

pepe wrote:
Quote:

The above statement is indeed missing one comma before the word "but" uniting the two sentences (clauses). (Eng. 101 i guess or even 100)
But getting stuck at one comma on a full page post (and also trying (twice) to bring others in your predicaments)
reminds me of the reason of posting here anyway!
"Ticking heads"

Sure you ain't ticking Pete?
fancy a board?
I'll buy you one if we could see you spin instead for a change, so we know it won't be a waste!

Jokes aside tho, you did offer assistance (even if through irony) and you too are included in my gratitude list!
Sincerely!

PostPosted: December 9th, 2022, 18:09 

i was trying to help, without any sarcasm, sorry if it did not went through.
It was indeed hard to make out the precise behaviour of your drive.
Moreover, you had your own thoughts, suppositions about things without much experience in the field and would not seem to listen to what somebody with several thousand hdds behind said. Not that i was something but the fact is fact.
I told you what to check and did you?
so talking about irony is ... well....khmm :)

pepe

PostPosted: December 10th, 2022, 8:11 

something to add:
I concentrated on the HDD problem and not kept all the rest in my head. That said, i am really sorry for all your loss and never intended to make fun of these things.You asked help and i tried my best to assist.
I would gladly do it for free if you put it on my desk than trying to understand the drive behaviour after every step from a 2nd hand information.
Perhaps i am literally disabled in some extent...

PostPosted: December 14th, 2022, 6:53 

Banned User

It sounds like you've been through a lot with this hard drive. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to give specific advice without being able to see the drive and the boards in person. However, I can offer some general guidance.

First, it's important to note that attempting to recover data from a damaged hard drive is a risky endeavor, and there's always a chance that you could end up making the situation worse. It's important to be aware of this before proceeding.

As for your specific situation, transferring the BIOS chip from one board to another is a possibility, but it's not guaranteed to work. In general, it's best to leave this kind of work to professionals who have the tools and expertise to do it correctly.

If you do decide to proceed with this yourself, it's crucial to have the right tools and to be extremely careful when handling the chips. Using a magnifying glass and a fine-tipped soldering iron can help, but it's still a delicate operation. Additionally, it's important to make sure that you're not damaging any other components on the board in the process.

As for transferring the data from the chip, it's possible that there may be software solutions that can help with this, but I would strongly recommend against trying to do it yourself unless you have a lot of experience with data recovery. As I mentioned earlier, this kind of work is best left to professionals who have the tools and expertise to do it correctly.

In summary, while it may be possible to recover the data from your hard drive, it's a risky and delicate operation that's best left to professionals. Attempting to do it yourself can result in further damage to the drive and a loss of any remaining data.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2023, 20:20 

ChristianMorris wrote:
It sounds like you've been through a lot with this hard drive. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to give specific advice without being able to see the drive and the boards in person. However, I can offer some general guidance.

First, it's important to note that attempting to recover data from a damaged hard drive is a risky endeavor, and there's always a chance that you could end up making the situation worse. It's important to be aware of this before proceeding.

As for your specific situation, transferring the BIOS chip from one board to another is a possibility, but it's not guaranteed to work. In general, it's best to leave this kind of work to professionals who have the tools and expertise to do it correctly.

If you do decide to proceed with this yourself, it's crucial to have the right tools and to be extremely careful when handling the chips. Using a magnifying glass and a fine-tipped soldering iron can help, but it's still a delicate operation. Additionally, it's important to make sure that you're not damaging any other components on the board in the process.

As for transferring the data from the chip, it's possible that there may be software solutions that can help with this, but I would strongly recommend against trying to do it yourself unless you have a lot of experience with data recovery. As I mentioned earlier, this kind of work is best left to professionals who have the tools and expertise to do it correctly.

In summary, while it may be possible to recover the data from your hard drive, it's a risky and delicate operation that's best left to professionals. Attempting to do it yourself can result in further damage to the drive and a loss of any remaining data.

What TF kind of ChatGPT crap is this?

Also in DataMedics and RecoveryForce forums, same username, same generic BS.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2023, 21:56 

Arch Stanton wrote:
ChristianMorris wrote:

What TF kind of ChatGPT crap is this?

Also in DataMedics and RecoveryForce forums, same username, same generic BS.

Wtf :lol:
I was wondering the same.

I guess we are using chatgpt to ask the same questions :lol: