All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate mechanical 1T HDD date code 09462
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2022, 12:57 

hello everyone, newbi here.
I am a technologically capable guy from avionics, electronics, high/low voltage power generation, on grid , off grid, and have been a slave to the telecommunications facility design & infrastructure world for decades. I grow my own food, hunt and fix everything i can that still has a chance (see my youtube channel "i fix it all"). Im a troubleshooter, a virgo , and a simple redneck dumb white boy from kentucky. My degree is in computer science for which everything i learned back then now resides in the Smithsonian LOL. Why i am here is for what i dont know.......................... and i am clearly out of my league even posting here but i have very little if any pride when it comes to asking for help !!!!!!!

background:
I recently went through a lenovo laptop hdd failure and worked past all that with fresh windows7 pro , ram upgrade and new ssd. Additionally i purchased a new 4tb WD40EZAZ sata hdd external drive.
My new external 4tb drive is intended to replace my older 1tb seagate mechanical drive which in my opinion was never really an issue all these years (date code 09462) until my son convinced me to start down the rabbit hole of linux.
Linux was saying this external 1tb drive going to possibly fail soon. Historically this 1tb drive new out of the box has never acted up at all. The instructions on how to connect it up always stated to POWER up the external 1tb drive first before ever connecting the USB cable. Even since day 1,,, windows would see the 1tb drive and ask if i wanted to scan it for whatever reason,, which i have always clicked cancel and move on to using it. Using linux convinced me to get a new external drive and begin migration of files from this 1TB drive made years ago to this new 4TB drive.

What i want to do......
I want to move about 120gb of folders and files from an older mechanical external hdd to a new external 4tb mechanical hdd. The target folders are triplicated in three different locations on this older 1TB HDD. I did this to help future proof my ability to recover data in case a platter, partition etc became damaged or corrupt. In reality,, this is proving to be useless to me due to the symptoms i am having.

Issue:
I have two toasters which i thought this would be as simple as within the windows environment just copy/paste from old external drive to the new. within just a few moments (lets say a minute or so), i start getting notifications within windows complaining about how its unable to either read, copy or see a file and it wants me to skip this file etc. "Sometimes"!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! i can actually go directly to this file and open it up and use it yet its rejected during the copy phase,, sometimes not true. I have one particular folder called "work" which contains all my target folders and files and its about 120GB. One error during the copy/paste task that happens about 90% of the time is a CRC error. I did some self paced learning on this and my first stop was windows chkdsk both in the windows environment and at the command prompt level as well as powershell. running chkdsk did get rid of that original issue of when windows detected the 1tb drive , it asking to scan it for problems. now it just shows up like its supposed to. NOTE>> My target desired folders and files are currently triplicated on this older 1tb drive.

What i suspect.....
ive been observing this 1tb drive and how its acting for a while since this past mid October. What i think is happening is this old 1tb drive is loosing its communications/handshaking with my laptop. When i give my laptop the job of copying from this old 1tb drive to a folder on my desktop,, it never fails that within just a minute or so,, windows will start coming up with reasons why it cant copy a file or folder. (one issue is my fault --file name or path too long). I did some youtube about my theory of the possibility of a external drive going into sleep mode etc. this took me to steps i can take in device manager to enable & disable a few things.

first i suspected faulty or driver problems with USB ports but since all three of my usb3.0 ports are yielding the same results, i am no longer focused on that.

I still suspect that this older 1tb drive is losing comms with its task to remain in the game to complete the copy task i asked of it. during its performing a job,, eventually it appears to me the old 1tb drive will begin to reject everything to be copied.
most of the time if i get curious and click on skip or apply to all files like this i get the following window notification :
+++++++++++++++++++++
you need to format the disk before you can use it

i click cancel and another window pops up titled as "location is not available".
Within this window is a Red X and the text states
"data error (cyclic redunduncy check)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What i have done....................
i have attempted to recover folders and files from all three areas of this older hdd and most of the time, if i go with the flow maybe 1/2 the data will copy while the vast majority of info is rejected for reasons of crc or whatever.
I have ran command prompt as admin D:\>sfc /scannow

with this result....
++++++++
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
++++++++++

I have ran ChkDsk and all went well

I have tried tera copy and others all showing signs to me in my opinion that this old 1tbHDD communications channel is getting broken.

when i drill in to windows in various areas,, it appears the drive is still mounted.

When i run kubuntu , i get similar results.. linux is not able to complete the full job and sorta just stops.

I even ran the simplest form of the DD command within linux ,, this looked to be working out well. A huge number of "files in" vs "Files out" matched up to 100% and when i went to my target folder,,,, nothing was copied at all.

I get the same results when i put this older 1tb hdd in either one of my two toasters.

scott
304 772 3411

Post subject: Re: Seagate mechanical 1T HDD date code 09462
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2022, 21:10 

Quote:
my two toasters.

you may need a cheese grater as well :)

joke apart, try to image it using dd or ddrescue, more preferably something like hddsuperclone. Then recover stuff from the clone using some logical recovery sw.
However, you need to know when to stop mocking around with it and ask pro help, coz appropriate tools and knowledge can save your .ss when it comes to such unstable drives. One can't imagine what a difference it makes to have a good tool in the right hands.
Chkdsk isn't it.

pepe

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2022, 21:19 

If this is a 7200.11 model, then there may be a way to stabilise the drive via its terminal port:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38411

I have written a tool that merges two files by bitwise OR-ing their contents:

http://users.on.net/~fzabkar/FreeBasic_W32/Utils/filmerge.bas
http://users.on.net/~fzabkar/FreeBasic_W32/Utils/filmerge.exe

This tool should help you to recover any file where all three copies have bad sectors. The bad sectors must be zero filled.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2022, 1:23 

pepe~ thank you for the honest advice, i totally agree.

fzabkaR~ the drive says
barracuda 7200.12
stx 720012 (b)
firmware cc35
site code SU
pn 9sl154-568
st31000528as

i will fully examine your thread in a few hours. i know this would likely be easy peasy recovery in the right hands with the right tools. I am building a tool box now,,,, like Ultimate boot cd which is awsome so far.... at least i think it is.

I am open to professional help though, see contact info in first thread

PostPosted: December 4th, 2022, 2:56 

Don't be tempted to try the commonly posted terminal commands for 7200.11 drives. You will most likely end up with a drive that has only partial LBA access. My ZOC script (in that other thread) is OK, though.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2022, 14:04 

ok,, this is a lot more than i am qualified to handle because i can screw this up bad.

I did read the rules ,,, so mods please feel free to correct me if i am out of line for the below

I am in the market to send this off to someone to recover 1 particular folder on this hdd.
contact me (scott) at the ph# on post 1 or jcassity@frontier.com

much appreciated.

I honestly feel like i am on borrowed time with this hdd.

thank you

PostPosted: December 6th, 2022, 4:40 

Jon is located in Atlanta, GA.
He'll be able to help you with this drive.
Contact him at https://datasaversllc.com/