Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Replacing Died PCB from WD My Passport

January 30th, 2023, 0:13

hello, im newbie in this forum. i wanna ask about replacing PCB from my WD My Passport.

does WD My Passport has the same PCB board ?
mine 4TB, wd40ndzw-11a8js1 (i opened the cover and saw the model)

im afraid if i bought the new one, hardrive inside the cover not the same type even tho its WD My Passport from the outside.
lets say if i got the same model but lower capacity ex. 1 TB. will it work ?

my hardrive error was USB Mulfunction and cannot be detected from bios, so im assuming that dying usb port on pcb causing it.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-30 at 13.10.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-30 at 13.11.10.jpeg

Re: Replacing Died PCB from WD My Passport

January 31st, 2023, 6:51

is this the donor or the patient? looks already opened....

January 31st, 2023, 7:03

Sorry, your drive is Spyglass2UL -- they're attached with the MCU of your PCB, you can't change the board. Well, you can, but you'll get encrypted data.
You can try and repair the board if that's possible, or you can convert USB to SATA if the problem is with the USB bridge.

HOWEVER

The biggest question is :
who opened the drive, how and why.

January 31st, 2023, 7:07

noticed that too, but he did not say anything about data, looks like he wants the drive back... which would be OK even if encrypted

January 31st, 2023, 13:00

my hardrive error was USB Mulfunction and cannot be detected from bios

If there is no power, check and reflow the solder at the zero-ohm resistor near the USB connector.
Post a reply