Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Do I have a hard drive with a faulty helium sensor?

May 22nd, 2023, 15:55

I have four 8TB helium hard drives model# HGST Ultrastar He8 HUH728080ALE604 the other day one drive failed S.M.A.R.T. due to the helium levels showing 6% I ran a full test on the drive with the WD software and it passed then the next day it was showing 1%. I transferred all my files over to one of the other drives installed after this was complete I checked the helium and it was showing 64% over the next week I was keeping a eye on this drive and the helium levels looked like a rollercoaster they was going up and down all over from 1% to 100% where at idle the drive falls to it's lowest(under 20%) under load it goes up to 50%-86% or if left off it's at 100% when checked right after turning the computer on. I'm already getting a replacement but is this drive still safe to use? I'm converting my Lenovo ThinkStation P510 into a home NAS I already have five 8TB drives for storage.
Just wondering if this is a common fault with helium hard drives.
Thanks for any help.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-18 175607.png
Screenshot 2023-05-18 175317.png
Screenshot 2023-05-11 110718.png
Screenshot 2023-05-10 125913.png

Re: Do I have a hard drive with a faulty helium sensor?

May 22nd, 2023, 18:32

adamgrant82 wrote:it was showing 64% over the next week

Those raw values in CrystalDiskInfo are hexadecimal numbers.

0x64 = 100 decimal

That said, there does appear to be something wrong with the sensor.

May 22nd, 2023, 19:01

Does that mean the hard drives going to fail if that sensor stops working? or can this drive still be used and just don't worry about the readings?

May 22nd, 2023, 19:15

adamgrant82 wrote:Does that mean the hard drives going to fail if that sensor stops working? or can this drive still be used and just don't worry about the readings?

I recall one thread where a DR pro observed that some drives won't spin up if the sensor is reporting a low He level. Yours doesn't appear to behave that way.
Post a reply