Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

segate ST8000VN004 making techno beat

May 31st, 2023, 4:31

hello everyone,

I have a HDD that is making sort of "techno beat" when i try to power it up, it is not even recognize in windows and i believe that the head is jerking inside.
Fortunatly this HDD is brand new and empty (so it is no problem if it's not working at the end). It was supposed to be installed in a nas and had worked a little bit before it died.
I've already performed some basic electrical test (short-circuits and broken wire) but every thing seems to be good so far.

In this case i only want to know why this hard drive is not working and what can be the the solution to this.

In your opinion where should i look now ? may it be the ROM that is dead and so the head is lost ?

Re: segate ST8000VN004 making techno beat

June 1st, 2023, 9:47

HeavyDrinkDrive, considering it is brand new, I believe the best is to get warranty service.

June 2nd, 2023, 5:10

hello,

for sure it would be the best solution. but as i get it in the bin at work i don't have any invoices or whatever. And also i mainly want to learn on this HDD i don't need it to be functional at the end.

June 2nd, 2023, 13:27

HeavyDrinkDrive, Don't know how Seagate warranty service works in France, but here in Brazil you only need to register the serial number of the drive on your Seagate account. There is no noeed of an invoice or any document. 5 years of warranty from Date of Manufacturing.

June 11th, 2023, 14:43

Hi,

don't know neither. Anyway but my main aim here is not to get a working hard drive, I have the opportunity to learn how to fix it or at least expand my small knowledge so it could be fun to try :D

June 11th, 2023, 15:52

I suggest to “learn” on an easier drive.

These ones are tricky at best, even for seasoned pros with tens of thousands of dollars of equipment.

In any case, if it has physical issues (which it sounds like it has) then it’s NEVER going to be repairable for normal use, by anyone.
Post a reply