All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is currently the best large-storage hard drive for Mac?
PostPosted: August 20th, 2023, 5:36 

Banned User

My 2 and 4 TB bus-powered hard drives (WD and Samsung, resp.) are almost full and I just bought an LG C2 OLED 4K 120 Hz etc. tv, i.e., my storage-requirements will see a step-function increase very soon :p.

Bus-powered is probably out the window (LaCie does still have that 8 TB one but they still ask the immorally high price of $600 or so for it >.<), so then we enter double-digit TB net-powered storage devices.

My main goal is to store and play many 2160p (h.265-compressed, of course) video files, on a device that can easily and ‘faithfully’ represent them on my tv (although 120 f/s seems almost never required I think, at least for this decade; hopefully half of its lifetime).
(Secondary goal is to also backup my Macbook's contents with TimeMachine, except the video files that are temporarily on there, so that's a small job.)

I will acquire a NAS (Synology), but it only has 4 TB, maybe 8, but probably not enough (i.e., ≥ 16 TB or so. At least 12). I don’t yet know up to what size it can scale. So, yeah that’s a thing, maybe a bit of a separate thing, depending on how sizeable and compatible it turns out to be).

I have the oldest Macbook (Pro, Late-2013, coming on 10 years, which is why I can’t really use VLC anymore and have to use USB flash drives to plug directly in my tv, which is a fine intermediate solution), but I will soonish (not before the M3-chip arrives) swith to the newest Macbook Pro then, so with the right HDMI I can probably play them off my computer again and not have to use stupid Smart TV features… I also value durability: I spend a lot of money once, and then have a great device I don’t have to think about for a decade+

So, which brand is best (for me)? Or are there any better alternatives? (I guess the answer differs if I do or don't use the Nas..)

Oh, also, I’m kind of poor (‘cause of all the tech I bought XD), so €/TB is a thing :p (So SSD is also off the table, I'm afraid. But is that even durable..?)

Any recommendations at all? All (educational) comments greatly appreciated! (As you can see, I'm very new at this :p)