All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1er164-302 Seagate drive made in Tk frm 2016 with empty
PostPosted: September 20th, 2023, 16:07 

fzabkar wrote:
A terminal report will tell us something about the ROM. You don't need to install the PCB on the drive to do this.

Sorry to ask what maybe a stupid question, but why not do it with the remaining of the donor drive since it s about the donor board? (As nothing is printed with the damaged board as if the wires were plugged on nothing).

PostPosted: September 21st, 2023, 4:52 

pepe wrote:
we are after the report made with patient hda + donor pcb (rom) of course, as that's where our oppinions do not meet.

you don't need to keep much for data recovery, nobody will do this at the moment i think.
Don't attempt wiring the db9 connector to this pcb, voltage levels are VERY different (usually -12V-12V vs 0-1.8 ).

pepe

PostPosted: September 21st, 2023, 5:34 

pepe wrote:
pepe wrote:
we are after the report made with patient hda + donor pcb (rom) of course, as that's where our oppinions do not meet.

you don't need to keep much for data recovery, nobody will do this at the moment i think.
Don't attempt wiring the db9 connector to this pcb, voltage levels are VERY different (usually -12V-12V vs 0-1.8 ).

pepe

Even despite this recent development https://ytrezq.sdfeu.org/audio/Recording_26.m4a ?

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 7:33 

ah, i remember now.
- does the donor drive still work with its orig pcb?
- if yes, do you get that sound with the donor pcb in its original state?
- if yes, it's one more reason to let the drive go

pepe

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 10:38 

pepe wrote:
ah, i remember now.
- does the donor drive still work with its orig pcb?
- if yes, do you get that sound with the donor pcb in its original state?
- if yes, it's one more reason to let the drive go

pepe

Donor drive is in perfect state inside a computer and might even be used as a backup target if it can be possible. So the problem is an additional thing obviously happened to the damaged drive though I ve no idea what can arise by leaving it untouched in a bag for 3 weeks with the donor drive (no drop).

Hence why dumping the terminal on the donor drive completely makes more sense to get device spec informations to me.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 11:33 

Other adaptives allowed to read the service area, but the write of the logs spoiled it ...
The heads and adaptives for recording and reading are different.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 12:20 

???? that sound points to head / surface damage, no servo , not just a damaged service area.
moreover, with donor adaptives one can't read SA on seagate F3 drives, pls just stop saying BS.

Quote:
Hence why dumping the terminal on the donor drive completely makes more sense to get device spec informations to me.

we were never interested in donor terminal response, only the terminal response of patient drive with donor PCB, coz some ppl here says drive can pick up SA in that state, which i oppose and the terminal log would have cleared this. This ship is gone by now i think, as there is probably other damage as well.

pepe

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 14:08 

pepe wrote:
???? that sound points to head / surface damage, no servo , not just a damaged service area.

Yes, I definitely agree with that type of additional damage. But I had a different sound at the beginning.
Do you mean it can be just the head or it should be both the head and the surface that are damaged?

Anyway, SA is no longer readable now so apart dumping donor s rom details, there s nothing more that can be done by me. Except if someone has a nice idea to inspect the drive visually without opening it in a clean room lab.
The fact the drive shut down by itself on https://ytrezq.sdfeu.org/audio/Recording_26.m4a seems to be linked to prevent further damages. I don t think trying to power it on again 1 more time is a good idea.

In all cases, the data from the spi rom should be recovered as a first step. Need to know who can recover that type of nor flash possibly using a microscope.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 14:34 

pepe wrote:
moreover, with donor adaptives one can't read SA on seagate F3 drives, pls just stop saying BS.
pepe

I didn't say that:
Ytrezq wrote:
I found an hard disk with an almost identical serial number (first 5 chars match along logo placement). Drive does intialialize and seems to pass reading the System Area with the other pcb (no click of death) but all sectors read as corrupt (at least the 150 first Mb).

The probability of matching adaptives for reading SA is very small, but not equal to 0.
Never say never...

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2023, 16:26 

yes, it has mathematical probability, kind of like me to appear in your room based on Heisenberg's uncertainity principle :)
Ok, this one has a few thousand orders of magnitude higher probability but still extremely close to 0.
:)
what he described as 'pass reading the system area' is probably the calibration sound which perceeds any read access after spinup.
nothing to hope for i'm afraid.

pepe