Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

DMDE - Overwritten NTFS partition recovery - help needed

September 18th, 2023, 13:55

Hi,
operating with testdisk i "cloned" a 16gb EXT3 partition on my 1TB HDD (NTFS unique partition).
Result -> my HDD is now raw

Objective -> to recover the ntfs partition, if it's possible, and no problem (obivously) to lose the 16gb overwritten by EXT3.

I executed "a scan" with DMDE and the situation is listed below:

Unluckily i've not enought knowledge to evaluate if what i'm asking is feasible and what to do with dmde in order to restore...

Thx 4 ur help.

Re: DMDE - Overwritten NTFS partition recovery - help needed

September 19th, 2023, 5:00

In general you should assume that in-place partition recovery is only viable option if nothing was written to a drive since deletion. Since you created a new file system and so drive was written to we should conclude that as rul of thumb it's not a viable solution. This appears to be confirmed for $Volume01 for which DMDE can find a the backup boot record but not the start of the partition nor the $MFT.

So abandon that idea, run full scan on Volume01 and see what can be recovered. This wil be mostly affected by amount of data that was the $MFT you have managed to overwrite.

Re: DMDE - Overwritten NTFS partition recovery - help needed

September 20th, 2023, 13:43

Good day,
thx you a lot 4 your reply.
I've to try with an old backup.. and after -> full scan :cry:
Post a reply